Donny
Donny, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Over 25 years working in Chrysler dealers, Top tech DaimlerChrysler 1998
8425921

chrysler: transmissions torque ratings, 0 1 2 5 7 8

chrysler transmissions torque ratings, 0 1 2 5 7 8, how do those equate to ft lbs?
Category: Car
Expert:  CarQuestionGuy replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for using Just Answer

Are you talking about the torque of bolts of the output of the transmission in ft lbs.?

Where did you get these numbers?

What is the year, make, model and engine size of your car?

Expert:  Donny replied 6 years ago.

Hello

I can try to explain it to you but there is not a chart or anything that we have that tells us how much each number can handle

Let me give you a couple of examples

A 40TE

4 = Four forward speeds

0 = torque handling capacity (very low, this is a PT transaxle)

T = transverse mounting

E = Electronic

A 68RFE is

6 = six forward speeds

8 = torque capacity ( very high, cummins turbo diesel)

R = Rear drive

F = fully (pump pressures controlled through electronic metering

E = electronic

A 42RLE is

4 = Four forward speeds

2 = Torque capacity (almost middle, Wrangler trans/ liberty trans)

R = rear drive ( no designation for 4 wheel do to transfer case)

L = front to rear mounting

E = Electronic

So a 40TE can handle the least torque, a 41TE slightly more, A 42RLE a little more,A 45RFE a little more up to a 68FRE the most to date, the new asian in the cab in chassis can handle even more, these are behind the new top of the line cummins

basically the low numbers are weaker and the high numbers are heavy duty

I hope that this helps you

If you need more information just let me know

Thank You

Donny

Donny, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: A.S.E. Master Technician, Over 25 years working in Chrysler dealers, Top tech DaimlerChrysler 1998
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i knew that all ready, i want to know, 0 rating = will handle "x" ft lbs and so on for each rating 0 1 2 5 6 7 8
Expert:  Donny replied 6 years ago.

Hello

I looked through all our manuals and training materials and can not find specifics for you

Sorry

Donny

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
say a 41te, 4 speed, 1 torque rating, t front to rear, e electronic,   68rfe, 6 speed, 8 torque rating, R rwd, fully electronic shifting, 41te, what is the "1" in ft lbs, and in the 68rfe, 8 = how many ft lbs? chrysler uses 0 1 2 5 6 7 8 as their torque ratings, what are they equivalent to in ft lbs? could it be based on a percentage from one to the next heavier transmission? like 0 - 1, 1 is 25%more torque handling ability, something like that?
Expert:  Donny replied 6 years ago.

Hello

I still do not have what i think you are looking for, but here is what I do have

The rating 1 - 8 is what the transmission can handle on the input side, what the engine feeds to it through the torque converter, when de-tune the engine at shift points to try and keep transmission from failing, right before the shift the tcm sends a torque reduction request to the pcm, the pcm reduces torque shift happens and pcm resumes normal operation, this happens in such a way that you can not feel it

also here are some specs for you

A 40TE in a PT with a 2.4 has 150 lb/ft of torque

A 41TE in a PT with a 2.4 turbo has 210 lb/ft of torque

A 42RLE in a JK with a 3.8 has 237 lb/ft of torque

A 545RFE in a WK with a 5.7 has 375 lb/ft of torque

A 68RFE in a DC with a 6.7 Cummins has 650 lb/ft of torque

I don't know if this will help you or not, but that is what I was able to come up with for you

Donny