JHoop
JHoop, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
4700517

I typed 2002 KIA RIO Cinco broken timing belt

Customer Question

I typed "2002 KIA RIO Cinco broken timing belt" on another forum site and somebody said "the 1.5l engine is an interference engine and thus you have likely destroyed one or more valves..." when the answer you gave me is "everything should be fine". Who is right ?
Category: Car
Expert:  JHoop replied 9 years ago.
HelloCustomer my name isXXXXX you for choosing justanswer.com.

Here is the Engine specs I have on this Engine. I highlighted the part about the Clearance for you.

graphic
I would say that pretty much sums it up. You would say your valves should still be in good shape.
I hope this helps you. If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop
___________________________
Dont forget to click ACCEPT. Bonuses as well as Feedback are always welcome. Thanks. (Please understand, that just because you put a deposit down, is not paying for the answer. You MUST hit the ACCEPT button for me to receive credit.)
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
This is just showing we don't need to adjust the valves clearance on a regular basis because their are maintenance free. It's not telling me if my engine is an "interference engine" or a "free-running engine". See excerpt from a technical repair manual :
If the timing belt breaks on an “interference engine”, mechanical engine damage will occur. Most commonly, the damage involves the pistons hitting open valves, resulting in the need for expensive repairs. In extreme cases, replacing the engine may be required.
Breakage is not the only reason to replace your timing belt. Looseness and wear can allow the timing belt to slip, resulting in very poor performance, a no-start condition, or engine damage.
Expert:  JHoop replied 9 years ago.
It says the Valve Clearance is ZERO mm (0).

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The valve clearance is at the top of the valve rod between the valve and the camshaft. What I am looking for is the distance between one fully open valve and the top of the piston when at max high position. If this distance is negative or even zero, the valve will hit the piston and damage will occur when the timing belt breaks.
Expert:  JHoop replied 9 years ago.
Let me ask you this. Have you performed a Compression Test on each Cylinder?
Expert:  JHoop replied 9 years ago.
Ok...I did find this. Take not at the bottom of the Article about the valve hight. Click HERE.