Donny
Donny, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Over 25 years working in Chrysler dealers, Top tech DaimlerChrysler 1998

How to tune up a 2003 dodge caravan 2wd 2.4L SFI DOHC engine

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  Donny replied 6 years ago.

Hello

To tune it up you can work under the windshield wiper tub, you do not have to remove it, you will need a good spark plug socket that will retain the plug in it, and different extensions that make you feel comfortable, on the plugs that are harder to get to once the plug wire is off I place the socket into the spark plug tube and then i put the extension into the tube and into the socket, you just need enough to be out of the valve cover so you can get a ratchet on the extension, once loose lift up grasp socket remove extension and then remove plug socket with plug in it

Spark plug cable removal

Remove spark plug cable from coil first.

Always remove the spark plug cable by grasping the top of the spark plug insulator, turning the boot 1/2 turn and pulling straight up in a steady motion.

Spark plug removal

• Prior to removing the spark plug, spray compressed air around the spark plug hole and the area around the spark plug. If no compressed air make sure to wipe down area before you remove the wires and then the plugs, do not let any thing fall down the tubes
  • Remove the spark plug using a quality socket with a foam insert.
  • Inspect the spark plug condition.
  • Fuel filter

• Release fuel pressure
  • Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  • Raise vehicle and support. Jack stands if no lift, safety first
  • Support the fuel tank with a transmission jack.
  • Remove fuel line from the front of the tank.
  • Remove ground strap
  • Remove the inboard side of the fuel tank straps and front T strap fastener.
  • Lower the tank about 6 inches
  • Remove fuel lines from the fuel pump module.
  • Remove fuel filter from tank.
  • Air filter

• Unsnap 2 clips.
  • Lift cover and pull toward the engine and remove cover tabs from air box.
  • Lift cover and remove the element
  • PCV

Remove hose, unscrew valve

I hope that this helps you

If you need more information just let me know

Thank you

Donny

Donny, ASE Certified Technician
    Experience: A.S.E. Master Technician, Over 25 years working in Chrysler dealers, Top tech DaimlerChrysler 1998
    Customer: replied 6 years ago.
    Thank you for your answer I hae some questions about that:
    1.- How can I release the fuel pressure?

2.- Where is located the PCV valve?

My caravan has 56000 miles so what else should I done in order to have this in the best codition, there is some maintenance that should be done at this miles?
    Expert:  Donny replied 6 years ago.

Hello

STANDARD PROCEDURE - FUEL SYSTEM PRESSURE RELEASE PROCEDURE

1. Remove Fuel Pump relay from Power Distribution Center (PDC). For location of relay, refer to label on underside of PDC cover.
    2. Start and run engine until it stalls.
    3. Attempt restarting engine until it will no longer run.
    4. Turn ignition key to OFF position.
    5. Return fuel pump relay to PDC.
    6. Disconect and isolate battery

There will still be a little residule pressure in the lines be sure and wear safty glasses

PCV is in the valve cover near the intake

Thank you

Donny

At Each Stop for Fuel

• Check the engine oil level about 5 minutes after a fully warmed engine is shut off. Checking the oil level while the vehicle is on level ground will improve the accuracy of the oil level reading. Add oil only when the level is at or below the ADD or MIN mark.
    • Check the windshield washer solvent and add if required.
    • Once a Month

• Check tire pressure and look for unusual wear or damage.
    • Inspect the battery and clean and tighten the terminals as required.
    • Check the fluid levels of coolant reservoir, brake master cylinder, power steering and transmission and add as needed.
    • Check all lights and all other electrical items for correct operation.
    • At Each Oil Change

• Change the engine oil filter.
    • Inspect the exhaust system.
    • Inspect the brake hoses.
    • Inspect the CV joints and front suspension components.
    • Check the automatic transmission fluid level.
    • Check the coolant level, hoses, and clamps.
    • Tire Rotation

• Rotate the tires at 6,000 miles (10 000 km).

Miles 57, 000 60, 000 63, 000 66, 000 69, 000 72, 000
    (Kilometers) (91 000) (96 000) (101 000) (106 000) (110 000) (115 000)
    Change engine oil and engine oil filter. X X X X X X
    Inspect the brake linings. X X
    Inspect the engine air cleaner filter, replace if necessary. * X X X X X
    Replace the engine air cleaner filter. X
    Inspect the tie rod ends and boot seals. X
    Inspect the PCV valve and replace if necessary.* X
    Inspect the serpentine drive belt on 3.3 liter and 3.8 liter engines, replace if necessary. ‡ X X
    Change the All Wheel Drive (AWD) power transfer unit fluid. (See note at the end of this chart) X X
    Change the All Wheel Drive (AWD) overrunning clutch and rear carrier fluid. (See note at the end of this chart) X
    Replace the air conditioning filter. X X