John, Master Automotive Technician
Experience:  ASE A1-A8 & L1 Master GM Tech 40 years experience

how do you changea cv joint on a 2000 pontiac grand am gt

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

I suggest you replace the axle shaft assembly,the axle has 2 cv joints on it & requires some special tools for the job.You should be able to buy a rebuilt axle assembly a t your local parts store.I am sending info on the job.

Wheel Drive Shaft Replacement

Removal Procedure

Tools Required

J 2619-O1 Slide Hammer
J 28733-B Front Hub Spindle Remover
J 33008 Axle Shaft Remover

Object Number: 141983  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above imageidth=
  1. Raise the vehicle on a hoist. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information.
  2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
  3. Disconnect the tie rod from the knuckle. Refer to Rack and Pinion Outer Tie Rod End Replacement in Power Steering System.
  4. Insert a drift (1) into the caliper and rotor to prevent the rotor from turning.
  5. Remove the axle shaft nut (2).
  6. Disconnect the stabilizer link. Refer to Stabilizer Shaft Link Replacement in Front Suspension.
  7. Remove the ball joint from the steering knuckle. Refer to Lower Control Arm Ball Joint Replacement in Front Suspension.
    Object Number: 40253  Size: SH
  8. Use the J 28733-B in order to remove the hub and the bearing.
    Object Number: 442399  Size: SH
  9. Use the J 2619-O1 and the J 33008 in order to remove the right side axle shaft.
    Object Number: 442470  Size: SH
  10. Perform the following steps in order to separate the left side axle shaft (1) from the transaxle (2):
    Place a flat - bladed screwdriver into the groove provided on the axle shaft tri-pot joint.
    Use the flat - bladed screwdriver in order to separate the left side axle shaft (1) from the transaxle (2).
  11. Remove the axle shaft (1) from the vehicle.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 189013  Size: SH
  1. Install the axle shaft (2) to the transaxle (1).
    Object Number: 442471  Size: SH
  2. Install the axle shaft to the steering knuckle (2).
  3. Install the ball joint to the steering knuckle. Refer to Lower Control Arm Ball Joint Replacement in Front Suspension.
  4. Connect the stablizer link. Refer to Stabilizer Shaft Link Replacement in Front Suspension.
    Object Number: 141983  Size: SH
  5. Insert a drift (1) into the caliper and rotor in order to prevent the rotor from turning.
    Object Number: 442471  Size: SH

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

6. Install the axle shaft nut (3) to the axle shaft (1).

Tighten
    Tighten the nut to 385 N·m (284 lb ft).

7. Connect the tie rod to the knuckle. Refer to Rack and Pinion Outer Tie Rod End Replacement in Power Steering System.
  8. Install the tire and wheel assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation in Tires and Wheels.
  9. Lower the vehicle.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

Did you get you vehicle repaired ?

Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

Hello ,

did I help with your vehicle repair.Please read note at bottom of page.