westrope65, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE

Why does my ABS light keep coming on when I start my car up

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  westrope65 replied 8 years ago.
Hi, welcome to

It should light when first start the car. then go out shortly after. IF it does not or stays lit. this meens you have a fault iin the system and need to ahve it looked at. As long as you only have an ABS (Anti-lock Brake System) light on your brakes will work well but ABS will not work.

hope this helps.______________
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to westrope65's Post: Please answer the second part of the information.
When I brake, the brake pad pulsates; it feels as if the car is not going to stop and scary. I have experienced this in stop and go traffic. What to do? What type of garage do I take it to? Dealer, but I don't really want to do this because of the cost? What potentially could be wrong and how much (about) will it cost to repair?
Oh sorry did not see that before. sometimes it takes a few minutes for it to update when first loaded. This does not sound correct to me you. You should not feel a pulsing from pedal unless braking hard. the ABS motor amybe bad or sensors for wheels. The ABS systems are best left to professionals. Many require a scan tool to set properly. I would seak a different on hands opinion then one you recieved already.

the cost will depend on diagnosis certainly does not have to be done at dealer but good quality shop.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I hope you got paid. Thank you.
Yes thank you fo using
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to westrope65's Post: Thank you westrope65, this information will better help me explain to the mechanic what I need done. Thank you, Denise