Lurch
Lurch, Aftermarket & Factory Electronics
Experience:  Ford, Chev Cert, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics.Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years.
1609972

how to replace a water pump on a 1993 f150 pick up

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.
Which Engine does your F150 have?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Lurch's Post: 5.0
Expert:  Lurch replied 6 years ago.

See Figures 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Removing the pulley from the water pump shaft may be easier if you use belt tension to hold the pulley

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: Loosen the clamp and remove the hoses at the water pump

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Unbolt the water pump from the timing chain cover

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Remove the water pump from the timing chain cover

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 5: Make sure the gasket mating surfaces are clean and dry

1. Drain the cooling system.

2. Remove the bolts securing the fan shroud to the radiator, if so equipped and position the shroud over the fan.

3. Disconnect the lower radiator hose, heater hose and by-pass hose at the water pump. Remove the drive belt(s), fan, fan spacer and pulley. Remove the fan shroud, if so equipped.

4. Loosen the alternator pivot bolt and the bolt attaching the alternator adjusting arm to the water pump. If applicable, remove the power steering pump bracket from the water pump and position it out of the way.

It may be easier to remove the pulley from the water pump shaft by using belt tension to hold the pulley prior to removal.

1. Remove the bolts securing the water pump to the timing chain cover and remove the water pump.

To install:

1. Coat a new gasket with sealer and install the water pump. Tighten the bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (24 Nm).

2. Install the power steering pump bracket.

3. Connect the lower radiator hose, heater hose and by-pass hose at the water pump.

4. Install the fan shroud, if so equipped.

5. Install the pulley, fan spacer, fan and drive belt(s).

6. Fill the cooling system.

Experience: Ford, Chev Cert, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics.Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years.