Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience!
5624692

1994 Ford Ranger: 2.3L, manual transmission..auxiliary shaft sprocket

Customer Question

I am changing the timing belt on a 1994 Ford Ranger, 2.3L, manual transmission. While installing the timing belt I noticed that the auxiliary shaft sprocket has a timing mark, but, there isn't any pointer on the inner timing cover. Therefore, I don't have any reference to use to line up the sprocket with. I consulted the Haynes manual for this model, and it said that, "On 1993 and 1994 California models with manual transmissions, install a Synchronizer Positioner (Ford tool no. T93P-1200-A) onto the auxiliary shaft sprocket and rotate the sprocket until the tool notch engages the notch in the synchronizer bowl." But, I visited the nearest Ford Dealer, and they couldn't find this part number. I have googled this, and some say that it may not matter where the sprocket is. If this is so, I assume that it only drives the oil pump. I believe Dan had an answer on this forum, but, I don't know how to see his answer.
Category: Car
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
What if I don't have access to this tool? I am not living in the United States. Is there an alternate way to figure out where the TDC is for this cam? This cam must trigger a signal. How can I identify when the signal is triggered? I tried to see if it triggered the number one spark plug by pulling the wire, and attaching it to a grounded plug. Then, I turned the ignition switch on, and turned the cam, hoping that it would trigger a spark. No success. Do I need to have the clutch peddle pressed down at the same time that I do this? I know that the clutch peddle has to be engaged to allow the starter to engage, but, does the clutch also switch the ignition on? Or, is there any other way to identify the TDC? The next thing I was going to try is to connect a volt meter to the wire harness coming out of the block were the distributor used to reside in pre fuel injected engines.
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 8 years ago.
Well, I never tried to rig it this way. Did you check the above links to see if one of them would ship to a non US country? Amazon and OTCtools are big companies and ship to a lot of places.
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 8 years ago.
Were you able to source the tool from one of the links above?