Mons
Mons, auto mechanic/teacher
Experience:  Over 40 yrs in the automotive field, certified part time teacher by state of new jersey
2824381

What percentage of Americans can drive a manual transmission car

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  Mons replied 9 years ago.
Hi Taf, Thanks for posting your question on Justanswer.com
When I first saw your question I thought it was kind of odd that someone would ask.
But then I started to think about it and it really is a good question. I taught two of my three children, the youngest getting his license in June, how to drive a stick before an automatic. My son was driving up and down the street at 13 and picked up on the technique really quick as did my duaghter. My oldest learned later. I've been around for almost 60 years now and I know the percentage of drivers capable of using a clutch has dropped drastically. I could tell by the few sales of clutches I made when I owned a parts store. But it is making a come back. Ok so this is not official but in my questimate I'd say 35 to 40 % of Americans but world wide I'd have to go with 40 to 50%. Maybe someday someone will take a survey. Please read the following. Hope I've been helpful. If you are satisfied with my answer please don't forget to click the accept button. If by any chance you are not satisfied with my answer by all means do not accept it.You are under no obligation to do so if you are not satisfied. We put a lot of time into trying to help everyone, sometimes we are successful and sometimes we are not. Accepting is your way of showing your gratitude for the experts efforts to help. Bonuses are always appreciated. Please note accepting my answer does not mean I will disappear. If you have any other questions concerning this problem just hit reply at the bottom of your screen or you can always email me again via J/A. Thank you, XXXXX
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thanks for your estimate. Sounds pretty reasonable.

TAF