GENE, Auto Service Technician

What is the difference between hypoid gear oil and regular ...

What is the difference between hypoid gear oil and regular or synthetic gear oil. My 2006 Toyota Tacoma has a limited slip differential in the rear axle. The owner''s manual calls for a 75w-90 hypoid gear oil. Is a full synthetic 75-90 gear oil OK to use.
Category: Car
Expert:  GENE replied 8 years ago.

yes it is- this is a easy conversion-just drain and refill with the synthetic-also you can do all of the drive train with synthetic-i convert all of my cars and trucks with synthetic-its a far beeter lube and oil-plus you will get better fuel mileage-its slight but it does give you a increase in mileage-hope this helps-just make sure you get the correct weight gear oil and oil-dont forget the trans too!