Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.
2921078

2000 Subaru: Sport..running lights remain..removing..connector

Customer Question

Greetings. My daughter''s 2000 Subaru Sport Impreza had just developed a problem where the running lights remain on continually regardless of switch position. Disconnecting power by removing the negative battery connector is the only means to turning the lights off. We would appreciate any input especially if this may be a common problem with a common fix. Thank you. Matthew
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.

Hi there!Most likley is the switch on the top of the steering column is on.Try turning it off and see if this resolves the problem.If not,please let me know and we will see what else may be causing the problem.Hope this helps!Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to carguy1's Post: What next??? We've already tried this switch numerous times!
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
OK.Wasn't sure if that was the switch you tried or the headlight switch.You are going to have to remove the cover from the steering column and unplug that switch.The power for the combo switch and the parking light switch runs through that switch.If you unplug that switch and the lights go out then that switch is probably the culprit.These lights are not flashing right?Just on steady?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay Carguy1
No resolution on our Subaru Impresa electrical issue with the lights so far; although we've discovered they don't always come on after re-connecting the power (?)

We've taken apart the steering column covers, disconnected and tested the switches for continuity and have attempted to physiucally wire-trace the conductors. A few more checks and I think we'll capitulate and ultimately take it to a specialty auto electrical repair shop.

Alan.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't see where or how to leave feedback?

Carguy1. I appreciate your recommendations even though we could not identify and resolve the root cause. I understand electrical issues are often the most challenging especially when the sysmptoms are inconsistant and infrequent.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 6 years ago.
You have to accept my answer in order to leave feedback.I think however it would be inapropriate for you to accept because my answer really hasn't helped resolve the problem.