MikeB85
MikeB85, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified, I-Car Trained and Certified, Automotive Technology Degree
7731073

90,000 mile..No oil pressure...vehicle was towed to a dealership.

Customer Question

I have 2003 XC 70 cross country with 90,000 mile I had an message that showed u . No oil pressure. The vehicle was towed to a dealership. Oil pan was removed and sludge was found but everything seemed intact. It was cleaned, new seals used. The no oil pressure is still showing. I''m told by the ealer that this is goinig to cost me thousands of dollars. What should In do? Do you know any shop that had similar problem and managed to fix it. I would like to talk to that shop.
Category: Car
Expert:  MikeB85 replied 6 years ago.

Hi there,

Has anyone checked the sending unit for the oil pressure indicator light or gauge? This could be bad causing the oil pressure light to come on. I think what the dealership is planning on doing is completely rebuilding or replacing the motor. Low oil pressure is usually due to mechanical wear and lack of maintenance over a long period of time. I would definitely suggest having them check the oil pressure sending unit before they get into any costly repairs. I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks.

MikeB85, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified, I-Car Trained and Certified, Automotive Technology Degree
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You suggested that low oil pressure is due to lack of maintenance. However, the previous owner performed all the required maintenance. When I purchased the vehicle, I have followed the maintenance required. If the the sending unit does not work, what next.
Expert:  MikeB85 replied 6 years ago.

The number one cause of sludge is lack of maintenance but if you have the maintenance sheets you could be looking at another problem. Sludge is a mixture of oil, moisture, and contaminants from combustion. If allowed to accumulate sludge can clog the oil screen and oil lines. When an engine gets warm enough the PCV system removes water vapors. If your vehicle is equipped, then there could be an issue with this system. Sludge is also caused by short trips or a lower quality oil. If the engine is running fine with no mechanical noises then most likely it is the sending unit for the gauge or light. If you would run a vehicle with no oil pressure it would lead to extreme mechanical failure. If you don't mind me asking, what did the dealer quote you on fixing that was going to cost thousands? Thanks.