32dmadden, Auto Repair Shop Owner
Experience:  A.S.E. Certified Master Technician, L-1 37 yrs. Auto Repair Experience

1998 Pontiac trans sport: mini-van..power but about half way..angle

Customer Question

1998 Pontiac Tran Sport mini-van.
Driver's window has power but about half way up it tlit to an angle and need to be helped to staighten it out. We cannot get the window entirely up. It stays open about 2"-3."
Category: Car
Expert:  32dmadden replied 8 years ago.
It can be a few things causing that. The tabs that hold the window to the regulator can be broken, a channel guide is broken, or the regulator itself is broken. All of them require the door panel to be removed. It is held on by a few screws and some locking clips. Some of the screws are hard to see so look carefully. You can get a special tool to help pop the locking clips off. It just looks like a wide chisel with a V cut in the center so the V goes around the male piece and has a flat on either side to pry with. Most major auto parts stores have the tool. Once the panel is off you can see inside and what is causing the problem. Let me know if you need more help.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks so much! We'll give take a look and see what the actual problem. Then go from there.
Expert:  32dmadden replied 8 years ago.
I'll be here if you need me. Thank you for using JA.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to 32dmadden's Post: It may be a few days because we live in a small town without auto parts and will be a few days until we can get to the parts store.

My husband looked at it and was very relieved. He is tired of fighting with that window.

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Expert:  32dmadden replied 8 years ago.
No problem. Good luck with the repair.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Extremely helpful and incredibly nice! Thanks so much