Robert
Robert, Technician
Experience:  6 years experience with car repair.
3862310

No Comment Added

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

Hi There!

What Is the Year, Make and Model?

Did your check engine light come on?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to gmplus's Post: no just the check gage lite did not start knocking or rough running
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

OK

What is the Year, Make and Model?

Thank you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
1998 Dodge Ram 1500 pick up 5.0 Liter or 318
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

OK

SO the gauge is not registering at all?

Thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to gmplus's Post: no there is no movement at all I even tried shuttung down the truck and restarting it a couple of times but still nothing
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

OK

Normally a bad sending unit could cause this issue however they will usually still read incorrectly. I would at this point have a mechanical oil gauge installed.If the mechanical oil pressure gauge confirms that you do have a low oil pressure problem the oil pan will have to be removed to inspect the oil pump and possibly the engine bearings. I would suspect a bad gauge, but having the system pressure tested would be a good idea.

Thank You! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to gmplus's Post: where is the location of the oil sending unit and how would i go about installing the mechanical oil pressure gauge?
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

OK

I do have some information.

These sensors are mounted on the engine and are controlled by the oil pressure. When the pressure is high, the switch is held in the off or open position allowing no current to flow to the oil pressure warning lamp on the instrument panel. When the oil pressure switch is in the low, on or open position, current is permitted to flow to the oil pressure switch warning lamp. This will cause the light to illuminate telling you that oil is needed immediately. You should always keep a quart of oil in your vehicle at all times in case of such an emergency.

TESTING

See Figure 4

When a problem occurs with an oil pressure gauge, examine the sensor (sending unit) and its wiring.

1. Check the sending unit and wiring by grounding the connector leads at the sending unit.

2. With the ignition ON, a grounded gauge will cause the oil pressure light to come on, or if equipped, the oil pressure gauge to read at or above maximum.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: A common oil pressure sensor connector

1. If the gauge does read at or above maximum, it is still operating.

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Disconnect the terminal ends on the unit.

3. Spray lubricant on the unit, to ensure an easy removal.

4. With a suitable open-end wrench or a socket, unscrew the sending unit.

To install:

1. Make sure area is clean before replacing the sensor. Scrape any remaining gasket material that may be left behind. Use a wire brush or a gasket scraper.

2. Lube the threads with oil on the new sensor and place the O-ring or gasket on the end going into the engine. Carefully thread the sensor by hand, making sure the threads are even, and you are not forcing the sensor into the block. Using a tool, tighten sensor but not to tight as it could break easily.

3. Connect the wires on the sensor.

4. Connect the negative battery cable.

5. Start engine and look for any leaks in case the sensor is not tight enough.

Thank YoU Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and Bonus welcomed!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what about the mechanical oil gauge....how do i install it?
Expert:  Robert replied 6 years ago.

OK

Sorry for the delay, wanted to get you the correct specs for testing.

ENGINE OIL PRESSURE

1. Remove oil pressure sending unit.
  2. Install Oil Pressure Line and Gauge Tool C-3292. Start engine and record pressure. Refer to Oil Pressure in Engine Specifications for the proper pressures.
OIL PRESSURE

Curb Idle (Min.*)41.4 kPa (6 psi)
3000 rpm207 - 552 kPa (30 - 80 psi)
Oil Pressure Bypass Valve Setting62 - 103 kPa (9 - 15 psi)
Switch Actuating Pressure34.5 - 48.3 kPa (5 - 7 psi)

Robert, Technician
Experience: 6 years experience with car repair.