32dmadden
32dmadden, Auto Repair Shop Owner
Experience:  A.S.E. Certified Master Technician, L-1 37 yrs. Auto Repair Experience
1361311

1999 Ford Ranger: radio will not work until it gets warm..radios

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Ford Ranger. When the truck is cold the radio will not work until it gets warm inside. I changed radios and the problems still exists. So the problem is not the radio. It doesn''t lose any memory or time. Just won''t come on, display or anything.
Category: Car
Expert:  32dmadden replied 8 years ago.
It sounds like it is going to be a connection problem. When it is cold the metal in the connectors shrinks and draws a way. When hot the connectors expand. Find the power wire that is at the connector that plugs into the radio. Trace it back to the fuse box. Check the connectors on the fuse. Make sure the fuse fits tight in the connector and the connector isn't being pushed out of the box. Let me know if you need more help.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
was a problem in the ingnition switch. had since sold the truck