Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25 years of experience, Certified Subaru Technician and Nissan factory trained.

2005 subaru legacy: turbo..hour drive..highway yesterday..few minutes

my 2005 subaru legacy turbo has been fine and fast to drive. had since new in 2005. after a shortXXXXXon highway yesterday, I shut off car for a few minutes at a friends house. When ready to go again, car stuttered and stalled when starting, then when i got back on the highway to go home, car had no accelleration and when I step on gas the rpms go up but not whining as if in neutral or slipping transmission, and the car feels like i am driving into a rubber band. Never had trouble of any type till now. I know the turbo has a delay with a sling shot like recovery, but this was very different.
Feels like the car is being held way back, as if driving into a rubber wall. Brakes and e-brake are in good shape.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
Hi there!Manual or automatic transmission?Any check engine light on?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to carguy1's Post: automatic with no codes or warning lights on.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 8 years ago.
Is the car continuing to act the ame way?Sounds like a problem with the throttle body,but normally that would set a check engine light.Has also seen some problems with the front a/f sensor.Sets the fuel trim wrong and the car won't run like it should.The mass air flow sensor can also cause the problem and never set a light.Try disconnecting the battery for 20minutes to a half hour.This will reset the fuel trim,if the car runs even worse then it's likley the mass air flow sensor.If the drivability returns to normal then quite possably the front a/f sensor is the culprit.Hope this helps!Thanks