Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience!
5624692

2004 Mercury Mountaineer: v-8..AWD..keys..doors were locked manually

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Mercury Mountaineer, bought it used, v-8, AWD Premier package, loaded with everything. It has twice started itself after engine is turned off, keys removed, doors locked and driver walking away. The first time the doors were locked with the remote, the second time the doors were locked manually.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer

Since this is new vehicle to you the first thing I would do is check for an aftermarket remote starter. You might be able to tell by popping the hood and looking for an installed pin switch or a sticker that warns a starter is installed. If you can contact the previous owner and ask them that is another option. You could also look up under the dash on the driver side for a black box with a bunch of wires and some relays. Typically there will be plastic tie wraps holding everything in place and it will look like the wires are running to the ignition switch, the brake pedal switch and the light switch.

I have seen many of these aftermarket starters malfunction and this is just one symptom! Sometimes you will have random flashing lights or mystery clicking sounds, etc...

Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
There is a black box underneath steering column with wires running through it.
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.

That is probably the remote starter, can you see any words on it? It's possible you could just unplug it and that would disable the remote starter. The easiest way to test it is to unplug it and make sure the vehicle starts and everything still works.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It has a white sticker on it that just says OK, and it has 2 plugs going into it, red one and white one. Should both be unplugged?
Could this remote start also cause the remote entry key pad to malfunction even when using the factory code?
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.

I doubt the module would cause this. It's possible someone has changed the code from the factory code. A Ford dealer can put their scan tool on it and check the entry code.

The box you are seeing might be a factory box. Do you see a part# XXXXX anything else stamped into it?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
unplugged the 2 prong white plug and 3 prong red plug and vehicle starts okay.
Also removed the plastic tie holding it on and the number stamped on back of box is "555U".
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.
That might be the interface module to let the remote starter work with the factory security system. Do you see any other boxes under there?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Underneath the 555U box that I unplugged is a smaller black box which says "crime stopper" and then back underneath it higher up toward the steering column is another black box with a sticker with some numbers on it, being held up with plastic ties. I'm just afraid of messing with all the electrical wires there, you know??
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.

I understand!

The crimestopper box is the main control unit. You should be able to unplug this and completely disable the remote starting. If you are uncomfortable doing this I would suggest taking it to someone you trust and ask them to remove the aftermarket modules from the vehicle.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The crime stopper box is the main control unit for the remote self start and the one that needs to be unplugged??
And can I leave the 555U unplugged??
Thanks!
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.
Yes, leave the 555U box unplugged and try also unplugging the crimstopper box. Depending on how it is wired, the vehicle may not crank if you do this. Simply plugging it back in should allow you to start the vehicle. If this unit is a combination alarm/remote start... many times the installer has to cut the crank wire and splice it into the system. If the system is removed then the wire would need to be attached like it was originally (hope that makes sense). The easy way to test is to make sure the truck starts and runs with the crimestopper box unplugged.
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Will try.
Thanks for the quick answers.
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 6 years ago.
No problem! Thanks for the accept.