AutoTechGuy, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, ASE Advanced engine performance

1995 Chrysler Cirrus Lxi: black smoke..steering key

Customer Question

I own a 1995 Chrysler Cirrus Lxi and on Dec 25 I was driving and all was fine then out of the blue I turned a corner at a stop sign and black smoke started pouring out of my steering column! So I pulled over, shut car off. Then when I went to start it again there was power to everything but where my key would normally start the car there was nothing! Got it towed home it sat for a week then a friend changed a 20 amp fuse under my hood for the ignition and it started and has worked fine since... until yesterday! I went to get gas. Shut it off at the pumps and when I went to start it there was power to everything but it would not start. No click! no spark! nothing!!! Pushed it out of the way and there it sits. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!
Category: Car
Expert:  AutoTechGuy replied 8 years ago.
Answered via Just Answer Chat.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
AutoTechGuy said he was goin to post a diagram. Was wondering where to find that diagram?
Here is the diagram for the starting circuit:

Start by checking fuse number 8 (20 amp) under the hood.

Then under the dash check for power at the yellow wire at the ignition switch. This should have power when the ignition is in the crank position. If you do not then the ignition switch is bad.

There are four seperate wires that would need to be jumpered to bypassed the ignition switch. This would not be safe.

Here is the diagram for the ignition switch:
If you have any problems or need more help please let me know!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the diagram for ignition switch is way too big and detailed to be printed off.
If you click on the image it should open in a new window. From there you can select fit to page and have the diagram only come out on one page.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no this never helped me.

If you right click on the image you can select save as.

Save the picture to your hard drive.

Now, open up Microsoft paint, or whatever graphics / drawing program you prefer.

Open the image and print it out. On most programs you can select to have the image fit to page. This will make sure it does not span multiple pages.