wrench9124
wrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Master Certified, ASE Master Certified, 32 years exp, GM Hybrid Certified, GM Mark of Excellence
5720312

Repair the passenger side rear brake line on a buick lesabre 1996

Customer Question

how do i repair the passenger side rear brake line on a buick lesabre 1996
Category: Car
Expert:  wrench9124 replied 6 years ago.
Hello, are you repairing the steel line, or the rubber hose that goes to the wheel???
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, the steel line. A rock bounced up and hit it just right and fractured the line...no brakes. Can you advise. Thanks...
Frank Pascarelli (NNN) NNN-NNNN

Ok, the steel brake lines have to be sectioned in. you buy the steel lines in the length you need. and section in!!!!! if you need any further info on this please let us know!!!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to wrench9124's Post: Hi, the steel line. A rock bounced up and hit it just right and fractured the line...no brakes. Can you advise. Thanks...
Frank Pascarelli (NNN) NNN-NNNN

Hello, here is how brake lines are recommended to replace.

Caution: Always use double walled steel brake pipe when replacing brake pipes. The use of any other pipe is not recommended and may cause brake system failure. Carefully route and retain replacement brake pipes. Always use the correct fasteners and the original location for replacement brake pipes. Failure to properly route and retain brake pipes may cause damage to the brake pipes and cause brake system failure.

Tools Required

J 29803-A ISO Flaring Tool

Important: This vehicle uses only ISO flares on the brake pipe connections. Do not attempt to use single or double lap flares when replacing the brake pipes.

1. Obtain the recommended tubing and steel fitting nuts of the correct size. (Outside diameter of tubing is used to specify size.)
  2. Cut tubing to length. The correct length may be determined by measuring old pipe using a string and adding 1.22 mm (1/8 in) for each ISO flare.
  3. Install the fittings before starting the flare.
  4. Chamfer the inside and the outside diameter of the tubing with the deburring tool.
  5. Flare the tubing ends using an ISO flaring tool such as J 29803-A
  6. Follow the instructions included with the tool set.
  7. Bend the pipe assembly (2) to match old pipe using a tubing bender. Clearance of 19 mm (0.075 in) must be maintained to all moving or vibrating parts.