Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience!
5624692

2000 Mazda MPV: blows..same fuse..Mechanics..wiring

Customer Question

On my 2000 Mazda MPV it blows a fuse, you replace the fuse then try to start it back up again and it will continually blow the same fuse again. Mechanics cannot seem to locate short in wiring? after 3 weeks? Can you help?
Category: Car
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

What fuse is being replaced?

Mileage?

Recent repairs before the problem started happening?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No recent repairs made.
Mileage 106,372
Fuse - am waiting for mechanic to call me back with this info.
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 8 years ago.
Ok, as soon as you have the fuse information let me know. I can go through the schematic and let you know what to test.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am on a dial-up modem so I may get kicked off. If I do I'll try to make connection with you again.
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 8 years ago.
It's ok, I can type to you whether you are online or not. You will see my message as soon as you log on to your question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The fuse is a 10 amp mini engine fuse
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 8 years ago.
The fuse is the control for the "Main Relay" and the power for the heated oxygen sensors and the capacitor mounted near the ignition coils. Personally, I would start by disconnecting ALL of the oxygen sensors and checking the wires for shorts. You could also disconnect the capacitor. If it blows the fuse as soon as you turn on the key you should be able to isolate a bad sensor very easily. Don't forget to also unplug the main relay and see if the fuse stops blowing. With the main relay unplugged the vehicle will not start.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My mechanic has already done all this. He now is taking the shroud from around the wiring harness which his tester is "pinging" to be inside that. Thanks for all your help though.
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 8 years ago.

I didn't realize that since you only stated that fuses had been changed to repair the problem. Make sure he disconnected all of the sensors, the capacitor and the relay or he will get a faulty reading.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
It is 740pm my time and the mechanic has gone for the day. I will be back in touch with him in the morning and let him know what you have said. Also, the deposit I put up has already cleared my bank, so I thought that was that??? I will check with him again in the morning to make sure he did disconnect all the sensors, capacitors and relay though. I really appreciate you.
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 8 years ago.

I'm not sure what you mean about the deposit?? Your deposit stays in your JustAnswer account until you accept or ask for a refund. As of now, it is still your money to do with as you please.

Please let me know if you need more help. I hate to see any vehicle broken down, especially a Mazda!

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My mechanic looked inside the wiring harness & it had 3 broken wires just behind the firewall. Thanks for your input though.
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 8 years ago.
Thanks for the accept. I'm glad we got it figured out. I'm not sure why it took the mechanic so long. Day one should have involved removing the items from the circuit, verifying the short was still there and then finding the wires that were shorted!