2003 suburban: s drop and the truck sputter and acts..brighten..dim

My 2003 suburban rmp''s drop and the truck sputter and acts like it wants to cut off. When I press on the gas the lights brighten up. but when I let off the gas they go dim.
Category: Car
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
Are you getting any check engine lights? What type of valtage does the volt guage read?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to carhelp4uhere's Post: The check engine light is not on and has not com on. the voltage reads 10.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 8 years ago.
This is much to low for your truck to operate properly. The system should produce 14.4 volts or somewhere real close to that point. If possible I would recommend a charging system test to see if the alternator is in fact producing voltage. It sounds as though you may have a faulty alternator, but that would be pending the charging system test. I would also verify the connections at the battery, and alternator are clean and corrosion free. Most auto part stores can do a FREE charging system test, and I would advise you to check with them to see if they could perform that for you. Keep in mind that if the alternator has given up, the vehicle will stop running after the voltage reaches a certain point. So if you are going to have the test done, I would make sure the battery is fully charged before driving it anywhere. If the alternator is failing, you will only be able to get a full charge with a battery charger. Feel free to contact me with any questions, problems, or if you would prefer a second opinion.