MikeB85, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified, I-Car Trained and Certified, Automotive Technology Degree

1990 Seville: gasoline..passenger..compartment..fuel leaks

I have a 1990 Seville.   I am getting a strong gasoline odor around the car and coming into the passenger compartment.   I have ha it checked for fuel leaks and have checked it myself.   There seem to be none.   I have had it checked for exhaust leaks and there are none.   I took it to Mccallister Chevrolet GMC dealer and they said the seals on the fuel injectors were leaking.   I had them replaced and still had the problem.   I took it back and they said it was from fuel left on the engine and cleaned the engine.   I still have the problem and it seems to be worse in cold weather.   What can cause this problem.   It has a 4.8 liter V-8 in it.   Are there any generic problems with this engine that could cause it.   Could there be a problem with some of the pollution controls.   At this point I don''t know what to do.   I hate to keep spending money on it and still have the same problem.
Category: Car
Expert:  MikeB85 replied 8 years ago.
The first thing that I would have checked is the EVAP system. There could possibly be a problem with the system that is causing the odor. If there are no other signs of leaks of any kind then this would definitely be something to check.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
When you say EVAP system are you referring to the charcoal filter in the gas tank vent line? Where is it located on this engine?
Expert:  MikeB85 replied 8 years ago.
Yes this is part of it. Have you had the EVAP system checked?