Jaxer Smith
Jaxer Smith, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  17 yrs experience and currently own and operate an Auto Repair Center
4387830

How do you take off the water pump of an Isuzu Ascender

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  Jaxer Smith replied 6 years ago.

Hi, Welcome to Just Answer!

I have added the procedure below. It appears that you need a special tool for the job. If you need further assistance let me know. Don't forget to Click Accept !

Water Pump

Removal & Installation

4.2L Engine

To Remove:

1. Drain the coolant from the engine.
  2. Remove the fan from the engine
  3. Remove the drive belt from the pulleys.
    Water pump pulley removal and installation

4. Use a J 41240 fan clutch remover and installer to secure the water pump pulley.
  5. Remove the bolts from the water pump pulley.
  6. Remove the J 41240 fan clutch remover and installer from the water pump pulley.
  7. Remove the water pump pulley from the water pump.
    Water pump removal and installation

8. Detach the water pump from the engine.
  9. Remove and discard the gasket from the water pump.

To Install:

1. Install the new gasket onto the water pump.
  2. Attach the water pump onto the engine. Torque the bolts to 35 in-lb (4 Nm). Torque the bolts again to 89 in-lb (10 Nm).
  3. Install the water pump pulley onto the water pump.
  5. Install the bolts into the water pump pulley. Torque the bolts to 18 ft-lb (25 Nm).
  7. Install the drive belt onto the pulleys.
  8. Install the fan onto the engine.
  9. Refill the engine with coolant.
  10. Check the water pump for leaks.
5.3L & 6.0L Engines

To Remove:

1. Drain the coolant from the engine.
  2. Remove the air cleaner outlet duct from the engine compartment.
  4. Remove the fan from the engine.
  5. Use a set of J 38185 hose clamp pliers to disconnect the inlet hose from the water pump.
  6. Use a set of J 38185 hose clamp pliers to disconnect the outlet hose from the water pump.
    Auxiliary heater inlet and outlet hose/pipe removal and installation

7. Remove the nut from the auxiliary heater inlet and outlet hose/pipe.
  8. Use a set of J 38185 hose clamp pliers to disconnect the hose from the throttle body.
  9. Use a set of J 38185 hose clamp pliers to disconnect the auxiliary heater inlet and outlet hoses/pipes from the water pump.
    Water pump removal and installation

10. Detach the water pump from the engine.
  11. Remove and discard the gasket from the water pump.

To Install:

1. Install a new gasket to the water pump.
  2. Attach the water pump to the engine. Torque the bolts to 11 ft-lb (15 Nm). Torque the bolts again to 22 ft-lb (30 Nm).
  3. Install the nut onto the auxiliary heater inlet and outlet hose/pipe. Torque the nut to 89 in-lb (10 Nm).
  4. Use a set of J 38185 hose clamp pliers to connect the hose to the throttle body.
  5. Use a set of J 38185 hose clamp pliers to connect the auxiliary heater inlet and outlet hoses/pipes to the water pump.
  6. Use a set of J 38185 hose clamp pliers to connect the outlet hose to the water pump.
  7. Use a set of J 38185 hose clamp pliers to connect the inlet hose to the water pump.
  8. Install the fan onto the engine.
  9. Install the drive belt onto the pulleys.
  10. Install the air cleaner outlet duct into the engine compartment.
  11. Refill the engine with coolant.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, my husband is unable to remove the huge bolt from the center of the water pump to take off the water pump.

Please take the time to review the images above and take note. There is not hug bolt or any bolt in the center of the water pump that needs to be removed. All the bolts that hold the water pump to the engine are on the outside.

If you are talking about removing the cooling fan form the water pump, that is a different story.

Cooling Fan & Shroud

Removal & Installation

To Remove:

1. Drain the coolant from the engine.
  2. Remove the air cleaner assembly from the engine compartment.
  3. Remove the air resonator assembly from the engine.
  4. Remove the inlet radiator hose from the radiator.
  5. Detach the transmission oil cooler lines from the fan shroud.
  6. Disconnect the fan clutch connector.
    Fan clutch removal and installation

7. Use a J 46406 fan clutch remover and installer to remove the fan clutch from the water pump.
  8. Remove the upper mounting bolts from the fan shroud.
  9. Remove the fan shroud from the radiator by lifting the shroud and pushing inward.

To Install:

1. Attach shroud to the radiator. Torque the bolts to 21 ft-lb (28 Nm).
  2. Use a J 46406 fan clutch remover and installer to install the fan clutch onto the water pump.
  3. Connect the fan clutch connector.
  4. Attach the transmission oil cooler lines to the fan shroud.
  5. Install the inlet radiator hose to the radiator.
  6. Install the air resonator assembly onto the engine.
  7. Install the air cleaner assembly into the engine compartment.
  8. Refill the engine with coolant.
Jaxer Smith, Auto Mechanic
Experience: 17 yrs experience and currently own and operate an Auto Repair Center