westrope65
westrope65, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE
8635606

1997 jeep wrangler sport wont start. engin turns over,cluch ...

1997 jeep wrangler sport wont start. engin turns over,cluch interlock sensor has been disabled. pin from starter relay has been grounded. ignition system has been swiched from factory original equipment to MSD system and back. engin started yesrerday now won't start again. 3 days ago hosed engine down=could be related.would replacing staring relay in fuse compartment help.I will have to have jeep towed 30 miles if I don't get a fix. thanks Guy
Category: Car
Expert:  westrope65 replied 6 years ago.

Hi, welcome to Justanswer.com

Your problem could be linked to the water you poured on it. Often they will have problems right away. and dry out and get better. Lets run your OBD onboard diagnostics and see what shows up? Get these and we can get idae what is wrong

Here is general procedure for getting engine codes by using the flash method.

Turn the key from off to on three times within five seconds. Then watch the CHECK ENGINE lamp. When you hit the proper rhythm ( this varies some from vehicle to vehicle and takes a few tries sometimes ), the MIL will stay lit longer than normal, go out and then start flashing.

Count the flashes. There will be short pauses between sets of flashes to indicate you're going to another number. The last set of flashes will always be 5-5, or code 55, which means end of test. All the codes will have two digits to them. You can repeat this as many times as needed to get a feel for how it works. If the PCM or battery has been disconnected within the last month or so, the first code you'll see is 1-2 (code 12) which indicates a recent loss of memory. be careful not to misread numbers so like 1-2 becomes a 3 or 2-3 becomes 3-2. Do this a few times to check and always write them down for future reference

hope this helps.______________
PLEASE CLICK ON "ACCEPT" IF I WAS HELPFUL-OR IF YOU NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE JUST ASK, THANKS

westrope65, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i can'seem to access obd. has never been reliable. had black spark plugs from time i bought car. dealership computer kept reporting bad coil.never fixed. finally after much stress i was able to get TSB stating weak valve spings in this model.Was able to get valve springs replaced under warrenty. nothing to do with present proiblem,but computer reporting has been unreliable from time i bought car 10 years ago ENGINE turns over this am ,but still will not start. thanks. GUY
The Obd readers can be tricky some days. It takes few tries and certain rythum held as deep secret at dodge so vary the rythum of your key cycles some and it more than likely will show after a few tries. Have you looked at the ASD or auto shut down relay?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I managed to get a 12   55 on the display but i have been getting these same numbers over the last 10 years,only because i wanted to find the source of my carbon laden plugs. That problem was resolved 2 and one half years later by my surruptiously obtaining a TSB forceing the dealership to replace the valve springs.I dont mean to burden you with my previously solved problems. Thanks,Guy

I am sure youo kow what these meen but here they are

12 is battery disconnected recently. Max of about 50 starts (was it?? if tno look into this)

55 is end of test

fuel pump relay you can ussually switch for horn relay and starter relay with ummm not sure but look and it one has the same pin set it should work for it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I had no reason to disconnect battery in recent past,not even to switch ignition systems out ie,MSD to factory ,car started and ran,though was fixed,switched back to MSD,car wouldn't start,switched back to factory. Car wouldn't start. All in past 2 days. one possibility,connector to coil may have broken wire,inside insulation,continuity check would require scratching of insulation near connector. I was taking signel from connector to trigger MSD ignition.

Starter Relay is entirely different from Horn, Fuel Pump,and auto shutdown relay which are same.

switched horn with auto shutdown relay,car wouldn'start.

Also,dumped small amt. fuel into air intake,yesterday,but jeep showed no inclination to start.

My impression is an electrial contact problem

relay,connector,broken wire?

Can you rule out CPU since I recollect that the coil drivers are in the CPU circutery? thanks Guy

lets look at these

The Crankshaft Position Sensor, or CKP sensor provides the PCM with information about engine speed and crankshaft position. It is located near the bellhousing.

The CKP sensor contains a Hall effect device which sends either a 0.0 volt or a 5.0 volt signal to the PCM depending on the position of the distributor shaft.

The PCM uses the CKP sensor signal to determine fuel injection event time among other things. The engine will not run without the CKP sensor signal.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: View of the crankshaft position sensor and its location-1996 5.2L engine shown

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 2: View of the crankshaft position sensor and its location-1996 4.0L engine shown

TESTING

See Figures 3 and 4

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 3: Connector terminals for the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 4: Checking the CKP sensor voltage between the wiring harness side and battery ground

1. Backprobe with a high impedance ohmmeter between the CKP sensor connector middle terminal and battery ground.

2. Verify that the resistance is less than 5 ohms. If the resistance is not as specified, repair or replace the wiring as necessary and continue the test.

3. With the ignition ON and the engine OFF, backprobe with a high impedance voltmeter between the sensor connector middle terminal and either of the end terminals.

4. Verify that a 5 volt or greater signal is present at one of the two terminals. If not as specified, repair or replace the wiring as necessary and continue the test.

5. With the ignition ON and the engine OFF, backprobe with a high impedance voltmeter between the sensor connector middle terminal and the end terminal that did not have the 5 volt or greater signal.

6. Crank the engine and verify that the voltage reading alternates between 0.0 and 5.0 volts or verify that the voltage reading is 2.5 volts (averaging voltmeters only).

7. If the voltage readings are not as specified, the sensor may be faulty.

Removal & Installation

4.0L Engine

1. The CKP sensor is located on the transmission bellhousing. Disengage the sensor wiring connector and remove the sensor wiring hold-down clip from the fuel rail.

2. Remove the sensor mounting bolt and carefully pull the sensor out of the bellhousing.

3. Installation is the reverse of removal.

Click image to see an enlarged view
Fig. 1: Exploded view of a common camshaft position sensor and related components-1996 5.2L engine shown

TESTING

1. Make sure that the ignition is OFF, remove the distributor cap and turn the engine over by hand.

2. Verify that the distributor shaft turns. If the distributor shaft does not turn, the engine must be checked for proper mechanical operation.

3. Backprobe with a high impedance ohmmeter between the CMP sensor connector middle terminal and battery ground.

4. Verify that the resistance is less than 5 ohms. If the resistance is not as specified, repair or replace the wiring as necessary and continue the test.

5. With the ignition ON and the engine OFF, backprobe with a high impedance voltmeter between the sensor connector middle terminal and either of the end terminals.

6. Verify that a 5 volt or greater signal is present at one of the two terminals. If not as specified, repair or replace the wiring as necessary and continue the test.

7. With the ignition ON and the engine OFF, backprobe with a high impedance voltmeter between the sensor connector middle terminal and the end terminal that did not have the 5 volt or greater signal.

8. Crank the engine by hand and verify that the voltage reading alternates between 0.0 or 5.0 volts.

9. Install the distributor cap and crank the engine with starter. Verify that the voltage reading is 2.5 volts (averaging voltmeters only).

10. If the voltage readings are not as specified, the sensor may be faulty.

Removal & Installation

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable and remove the intake air tube if necessary.

2. Remove the distributor cap and the rotor.

3. Disengage the CMP sensor wiring connector and carefully lift the sensor out of the distributor.

To install:

1. Carefully place the sensor into the distributor. Make sure that any alignment notches or tabs line up properly.

2. Install the distributor rotor and cap.

3. Engage the sensor wiring connector and connect the negative battery cable