wrench9124
wrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Master Certified, ASE Master Certified, 32 years exp, GM Hybrid Certified, GM Mark of Excellence

1997 Cadillac Deville: northstar..shifting lever..On a warm day

I have a 1997 Cadillac Deville (Northstar) that has become increasingly hard to move the shifting lever. (Especially when it is cold). On a warm day it is better. Does anyone know what this problem is.
Category: Car
Expert:  wrench9124 replied 6 years ago.
Hello, is this a floor shifter or a column shifter???
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is a column shifter. There appears to be no problem with the way the transmission shifts. The problem that I am having is that it is very hard to move the column shifter when it is cold. As the outside temperature moderates it gets better.

Hello, more than likely the shift cable is probably your problem. the cable runs from the steering column to the transmission. you can inspect the cable for any visible damage, sometimes the cable over a period of time becomes frayed inside the housing and causes a binding problem.

Object Number: 97521  Size: SH

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to wrench9124's Post: Why is it much, much worse when it is very cold outside and gets much better when the temperature is warm- and it does not seem to be getting worse with time?
when the cable is cold it will naturally have more resistance's. moving parts tend to bind more in cold weather than warm weather. the cable has a outer plastic housing, in the cable inside the outer cover is metal. the two unlike materials tend to swell and contract and different rates.
wrench9124, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: GM Master Certified, ASE Master Certified, 32 years exp, GM Hybrid Certified, GM Mark of Excellence