westrope65
westrope65, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE
8635606

that seems to be leaking, and there are 2 lines that have been cut due

Customer Question

i have a radiator that seems to be leaking, and there are 2 lines that have been cut due to previous work and i need to change the radiator possibly.. where do i start?
Category: Car
Expert:  westrope65 replied 6 years ago.

Hi, welcome to Justanswer.com

If yours is an automatic transmission there should be two hydrolic lines that go to the radiator. Were do you feel you have a leak? often the radiators leak slowly from seams.

hope this helps.______________
PLEASE CLICK ON "ACCEPT" IF I WAS HELPFUL-OR IF YOU NEED FURTHER ASSISTANCE JUST ASK, THANKS

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes, they have been cut, and bent upwards, and pinched off..my friend was driving it, and he said there was fluid leaking everywhere for a few seconds, and then it stopped, and then the temp gauge went of the charts, and didnt stop where it was until he shut it off...there was a lot of work done to it, they put a trans cooler in it, and it seems that they put the trans cooler in, and instead of plugging those lines, they just bent the lines upward and just pinched them ff, and left them hanging there..so i am trying to figure out where i need to start.. i just hope with the overheating that the engine didnt seize up.... i should probably change the thermostat and get a new seal huh..
check the level of fluid it may have leaked out. the lines are supposed to be sealed from teh radiator. Maybe they have gotten broken inside the radiator which meens it maynot be long before you need to replace it if not now. The thermostat might be good idea I would check to see ow the coolant circulates first.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
isnt there supposed to be a certain pressure that the radiator contains?
Yes there is nad the radiator cap is the pressure relief valve. But as they get older tehy can get weak nad let pressure out to early thus loose fluid. BUT the tranny lines are supposed to be seperate and not leak coolant ever.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
okay... so i have put a new radiator in the truck, and am going t get a new thermostat, housing, seal, and a new water pump..if i have changed the radiator, water pump, and thermostat, and it still overheats, what then could the problem be?what exactly does the trans-cooler do?when i put the new radiator in, theres the 2 hydrolin lines that i said were previously pinched off... do i need to put those lines onto the new radiator? what purpose do they serve?
On inspectioin was the radiator bad? Did you have it pressure tested? If it was good and then still gets hot you may have a bad head. YOu can have your coolant tested for exhaust gases.
Or your shroud is not in place and good.

As fo the hydraulic lines do you have an automatic? These lines are to cool the fluid for the transmission. If you do not have an automatic then you do not need to plug or use them.