Brian9
Brian9, Automotive Technician
Experience:  14 years automotive experience, ASE certified, Expert Technician in driveability.
3611298

how do i program a new key in a 2001 mitsubishi eclipse spyder

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  Brian9 replied 9 years ago.

This procedure can be done without a scan tool. This is how.
1. This is done with the key in the ignition but in the off position.

2. Go to the data link connector theat has 16 pins in it located under the dash right of the steering wheel and ground pin 1 which is the first pin to the top left. Top being the wider part of the 2 rows of pins. Both rows have 8 pins, but outer diameter of the top is wider.
  1. Press the hazard switch six times within 10 seconds . NOTE: At this time the code registration monitor request is output (all doors locked and unlocked) and becomes registration mode. NOTE: The hazard warning light switch is turned on and off alternately whenever it is pushed.
  2. Press the transmitter switch, and then press it two times within 10 seconds of the first press. This will register the code.
  3. When registration is completed, the code registration monitor request is output (all doors locked and unlocked).
  4. If you are using two or more transmitters or have added a second transmitter, the same registration procedure should be carried out within one minute after registering the code for the first transmitter. After the second registration is completed, the code registration monitor request is output (all doors locked and unlocked).
Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to Brian9's Post: Brian
I,m am trying to program the keys not the transmitter
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Brian

I"m new at this site , so if I already sent my reply please ignore this one.
I am trying to program the keys to this car, not the door remotes.

Joe
Expert:  Brian9 replied 9 years ago.

Sorry about that. At this time, Mitsubishi has the only equipment to program the key. A factory scan tool has to be used to program the new key and reprogram the old key. This system disables the injectors and spark if the key is not programmed which you probably have already noticed. Just like everyother manufacturer out there limiting what what we can do on these vehicles without buying there expensive scan tool.