Randy, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  30 years experiene. I can even diagnose and repair LP and CNG powered vehicles.

Civic: new I could drive 0 more km/miles..litre petrol

I almost ran out of gas when I picked up my new car. The onboard computer told me I could drive 0 more km/miles.

I would like to know what can be damaged and whether this can have any serious consequences (I drive a Civic Vtec 2.0 litre petrol car).
Do / can modern cars prevent this by shutting down in time?

I am also wondering whether the car suffered a little from this.
Category: Car
Expert:  Randy replied 8 years ago.
Customer Randy hereLaughing

You can be rest assured that you probably have not done any damamge to the vehicle. Really the only thing that MIGHT be effected is the fuel pump because of running dry but that's a VERY remote possibility. Hope this puts your mind at easeWink

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Randy's Post: Cheers Randy

How about engine running lean or engine 'miss fire'? Not that thas has happend but someone (evil:p) told me that could happen, although that would be even more remote:)

But yes that does put my mind at ease:-) If it is okay for you I'll be accepting your reply to this message as I'm off to some cultural event / party:)