Kevin, Master Auto Technician
Experience:  30 years auto repair business owner and operator still

No Comment Added

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 years ago.
Do you happen to know the code # XXXXX was stored that turned on the light?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
no i don't
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 years ago.
I suspect that since you already tried the solenoid for the vapor recovery system, then that means you had an EVAP code which usually means a leak (large or small leak) in the EVAP system. Solenoids are part of that system. After the solenoid was replaced did the engine service lamp get turned off and then it came back on again? Can you give me some more backround?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the car lot where i bought the car told me that that is what they did. the light went out but came back on within a day
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 years ago.

Well Carol, you could do a couple of things. If you want to try to get some info that will help prevent you from getting a big repair bill, I would suggest that you find out what the code is that is stored in your car's computer memory. You can go to many of the larger retail auto stores like autozone and they will plug in a device called a code reader and read the code for you. You could buy this device for your own use for about $60 at these same places and eliminate the need to run to them everytime you want to read a new code. (I recc. this) Find out the code and then repost to my attention Kevin / HouseCall and I'll continue to help you. You have your homework to do - talk soon.

PS You could also complain the the car lot where you bought it and get them to fix it if you feel they are liable for this problem.