Kevin
Kevin, Master Auto Technician
Experience:  30 years auto repair business owner and operator still
4893403

1998 Grand Voyager: intermittent..seat belt..the headlights are..dim

Customer Question

The battery recently went kaput in my 1998 Grand Voyager. We replaced the battery, but now while engine is running, there is an incessant intermittent "dinging" like a seat belt is off, or a door is open; neither of which is the case. Also, the headlights are dim and even with bright lights on, path is not well illuminated. ANy help would be greatly appreciated.
Category: Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 years ago.
If this problem began *immediately* after the battery replacement then I would recheck your battery terminals and the wires leading to them. If that is the case, then something that you touched at or near the battery changed something in the electrical system and what immediately comes to mind is a bad connection at the positive terminal. It sounds like it will turn out to be a simple thing.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Kevin's Post: Terminals are on fine, there was some flickering in the dash lights even before the battery was changed, so I was wondering if there might have been something that led to the battery discharging as well. The battery was less than one year old. The car is only a backup vehicle now, so it is not started daily.
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 years ago.
Can you elaborate on the dash flickering some?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
They kind of went dimmer, then brighter intermittently.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I answered your question. Any other feedback?? I cannot leave feedback if the question is not closed yer. I accepted your first answer only so I could reply, but it did not solve the problem. My husband has since checked charge on the system and it all check out.
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 years ago.

I know that you said the battery terminals were fine. Is there any corrosion where the positive battery cable attaches to the positive battery terminal. I have seen this corrosion cause crazy things like you mention on Chrysler products. Can you be 100% sure so I can move away from that as a cause?

My mistake on closing out the question earlier.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
My husband checked the terminals and knocked any corrosion off before installing the new battery. He went out and did a test on the alternator and the battery today and said there was a full charge in the electrical system.
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 years ago.
Ask your husband if he has a voltmeter to do a circuit test. I want to know the voltage that is going to either of the dimly lit headlights. I want the voltage measured when the headlights are visibly dim like you stated. The wire color that you will measure is Violet/Red.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
We will not be able to do that until tomorrow, can I get back to you then.
Expert:  Kevin replied 8 years ago.
Yes, I will check my posts in the morning and then again in the early afternoon and then evening. Will look 4 U.