Kevin
Kevin, Master Auto Technician
Experience:  30 years auto repair business owner and operator still
4893403

1995 Chrysler New Yorker: battery died and I..electrical..electronic

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Chrysler New Yorker with 100,000+ miles. The battery died and I''m not sure how long it was dead, but all the electrical elements do not work. I can not release the hood to get to the battery because the hood release inside the car does not work because it is electronic. I tried to look through the grill but I could not find any latch that will release the hood from the car so that I can pull the latch to release the hood from the outside. How can I get my hood open to access the battery? Can I reach any latches by going under the car? If I break the grill, can I access it this way?
Category: Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 years ago.
The hood release cable is not electronic. It is a manual cable. If the handle is broken away from the cable you can still pull the cable with a pliers from just behind the pull handle. Sometimes you need to bang on the hood while another person pulls the hood cable handle. You can do this. Let me know if you need different details.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Kevin's Post: The hood release inside of the car is tied into the electrical system. The trunk release did not open from inside the car also. That is how I figured out it is tied to the battery. The car had sat for months and I'm not sure when the battery died. I need different details. This is not the solution.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 years ago.

In a few instances I have laid on the ground under the front license plate and looked up and found the place where the hood cable attaches and had been able to actuate it manually but with quite a lot of contortioning of my hand up there with a small screwdriver and was successful a couple of times so maybe you are on the right track with that. Yes, maybe the grill removal will assist too. I've done that too.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Kevin's Post: Great! Now I believe we are on the same page. However, you have not told me anything that I didn't already know. I need to know exactly where that first lock is on my '95 Chrysler New Yorker in order that I may release the hood from being flush with the car. Therefore being able to pull the hood release this is under the hood, on the outside of the car. Do you have a drawing or picture that shows what this latch looks like and where it is located? That would be most helpful.
Expert:  Kevin replied 6 years ago.
I really do wish that I could show you that picture that you need but frankly it does not exist in a way that will help you locate where you have to get your hands. The last bit of advice I can give you is to find the hood release cable from looking at every angle you can. Usually you can spot it as it approaches the hood latch which of course is located in the center of the top of the radiator support. The cable runs along inside the left front fender and then out to the center. If you can get to any part of it - pull it as hard as you can and it may just be enough to pop the hood latch.