RobAtBowAuto
RobAtBowAuto, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified 12 years, 17 years expierence, 5 years experience replacing engine and transmissions
8862121

2002 saturn: leaks approx 3/4 quart of oil every 1000 miles..coolant

I have a 2002 Saturn SL1 single overhead cam, I noticed that it burns/leaks approx 3/4 quart of oil every 1000 miles. My local mechanic checked the plugs, pvc, and coolant. He changed the PVC. He indicated no apparent leaks from his diagnosis, but indicated that it was burning the oil. Is this a common problem for Saturn''s that have 80,000 miles ? if so, is there anything that I can do to prevent the saturn from burning as much ??
Hi there, Ive replaced alot of saturn engines and burning oil is a typical problem with the twin overhead cam engine . A quart every thousand miles is not uncommon. Additives may help a little. Ive heard good things about lucas oil additive
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
how about the single overhead cam

Oil burning is a problem with the single overhead cam engines also and is typical for the mileage. Sorry. Probably not what you wanted to hear but Ive had lots of experience with saturns engines and transmissions and there is no miracle cure for the oil burning problems they tend to have but it doesnt seem to affect the reliability as long as you check the oil and keep it full and change it regulary. Thanks, Robbie

Hey if it makes you feel better Ive seen brand new cars use a quart every 1000 miles. Most car companys say that its not abnormal to use that much oil.