SuperDave Auto
SuperDave Auto, ASE Master Auto and Truck Tech
Experience:  25+ Years Shop Owner; Ase Master Tech

2002 f150: brake problem..brakes are locking..peddle..shudder

Customer Question

I have a 2002 f150 it has an intermentent brake problem when you come to a stop it feels like the brakes are locking up but they are not , then the peddle will shudder and go to the floor.
Category: Car
Expert:  SuperDave Auto replied 8 years ago.

Do you have any type of brake lights on the dash that are illuminated?? Do the tires actually lock up and skid?? When the pedal goes to the floor, do the brakes stay engaged or will the vehicle begin to move?? Have there been any recent repairs to the brake system??

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
No trouble lights and the tires dont actually lockup it just feels that way. Almost like when you drive thru water then apply the brakes how the come to an abrupt stop. The vehicle operation is pretty much normal. There has been no recent repairs to the brake system.
Does your brake system do this every time?? Every Day??? Once a week???
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
NO but it is happening more and more often but not every time.
Does you truck have 4 wheel disc brakes or front disc and rear drums??
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
The truck is not here right now, but I think it has disc brakes in the rear, pretty sure.

Sorry about all of the questions. Most likely, if the pedal is going to the floor every time this happens, you have a brake master cylinderthat is bad and possibly an anti-lock brake problem. My concern is that no lights come on. The RED brake light is supposed to come if the pedal goes to the floor. The YELLOW anti-lock light is suppoed to come on if you most any kind of problem in that area. I would definitely recommend taking to a trusted and honest repair facility to get proper diagnostics on. Make sure you drive the vehicle and the service advisor with you for duplication of the problem. ANY braking problem can be dangerous. I recommend this as soon as possible.

If I can be of any other help,please let me know. Good Luck. Dave