Bob
Bob, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  40 year GM Tech. +30 Certified. ASE Master Tech.(expired, retired) Medium Duty, Heavy Line, Retired
2210118

How do I replace the brake pads on a 2004 GMC Yukon Denali

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  Bob replied 6 years ago.

Hello, because you will not be replacing the front calipers, unless there is a problem with them, follow theses instructions up to the part where they are off of the mounting brackets. You need them off the rotor to access the front disc pads. So read through it all before you start. Thanks

1. Inspect the fluid level in the brake master cylinder reservoir.
  2. If the brake fluid level is midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, no brake fluid needs to be removed from the reservoir before proceeding.
  3. If the brake fluid level is higher than midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, remove brake fluid to the midway point before proceeding.
  4. Raise and support the vehicle.
  5. Remove the tire and wheel assembly. Object Number: 370154  Size: SH

6. Compress the brake caliper pistons.
    Install a large C-clamp over the top of the caliper housing and against the back of the outboard pad.
    Slowly tighten the C-clamp until the pistons are pushed completely into the caliper bores.
    Remove the C-clamp from the caliper.
  7. Clean all dirt and foreign material from the brake hose end.
    Object Number: 367082  Size: SH

Important: Install a rubber cap or plug to the exposed brake pipe fitting end to prevent brake fluid loss and contamination.

8. Remove the brake hose to caliper bolt from the brake caliper.
  9. Remove and discard the 2 copper brake hose gaskets. These gaskets may be stuck to the brake caliper housing or the brake hose end.
  10. Remove the brake hose from the caliper.
    Object Number: 789166  Size: SH

11. Remove the 2 brake caliper mounting bolts.

Caution: Do not depress the brake pedal with the brake rotors/calipers and/or the brake drums removed. Damage to the brake system may result. If brake system damage occurs and is not repaired, vehicle damage and/or personal injury or death may result.

12. Remove the brake caliper from the brake caliper mounting bracket.

Installation Procedure

Object Number: 789166  Size: SH

1. Install the brake caliper to the brake caliper mounting bracket.
  2. Perform the following procedure before installing the caliper mounting bolts.
    2.1. Remove all traces of the original adhesive patch.
    2.2. Clean the threads of the bolt with brake parts cleaner or the equivalent and allow to dry.
    2.3. Apply Threadlocker GM P/N 12345493 (Canadian P/N 10953488) to the threads of the bolt.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

3. Install the 2 brake caliper mounting bolts.

Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 108 N·m (80 lb ft).

4. Remove the rubber cap or plug from the exposed brake hose fitting end.

Important: Install 2 new copper brake hose gaskets.

5. Assemble the 2 new copper brake hose gaskets and the brake hose to caliper bolt to the brake hose.
    Object Number: 367082  Size: SH

6. Install the brake hose to caliper bolt to the brake caliper.

Tighten
    Tighten the brake hose to caliper bolt to 40 N·m (30 lb ft).

7. Bleed the hydraulic brake system.
  8. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
  9. Lower the vehicle.
  10. Fill the master cylinder reservoir to the proper level with clean brake fluid.

Front Disc Brake Pads Replacement

Removal Procedure
Object Number: 369668  Size: SH

2. If the brake fluid level is midway between the maximum--full point and the minimum allowable level, no brake fluid needs to be removed from the reservoir before proceeding.
  4. Raise and support the vehicle.
  5. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
  6. Inspect the caliper operation. .
  7. Notice: Support the brake caliper with heavy mechanic wire, or equivalent, whenever it is separated from its mount and the hydraulic flexible brake hose is still connected. Failure to support the caliper in this manner will cause the flexible brake hose to bear the weight of the caliper, which may cause damage to the brake hose and in turn may cause a brake fluid leak.

8. Remove the caliper from the mounting bracket and support the caliper with heavy mechanic's wire or equivalent. DO NOT disconnect the hydraulic brake flexible hose from the caliper. .
  9. Remove the brake pads from the caliper mounting bracket.
  10. Remove and discard the anti-rattle clips from the brake caliper mounting bracket.
  11. Inspect the caliper and mounting bracket.

12. Object Number: 369668  Size: SH

13. Install new anti-rattle clips to the inside ends of the caliper mounting bracket.
  14. Install the brake pads to the caliper mounting bracket.
  15. Install the brake caliper. .
  16. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
  17. Remove the safety stands.
  18. Lower the vehicle.
  19. With the engine OFF, gradually apply the brake pedal to approximately 2/3 of its travel distance.
  20. Slowly release the brake pedal.
  21. Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 7-8 until a firm pedal is obtained. This will properly seat the brake caliper pistons and brake pads.
  22. Fill the master cylinder reservoir to the proper level with clean brake fluid.
  23. Burnish the brake pads and rotors. .
Bob, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 40 year GM Tech. +30 Certified. ASE Master Tech.(expired, retired) Medium Duty, Heavy Line, Retired