Dan, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  GM ASEP A.A.S. 14 years GM experience. Mark of Excellence and Professional Guild awarded.

2002 dodge intrepid: getting stuck..flushed..a complete stop it

my transmission was getting stuck in gear so i had the transmission flushed not it shuts off when i am coming to a complete stop it dosen't happen every time what would cause that to happen i have a 2002 dodge intrepid
For starters Chrysler doesn't recommending flushing their transmissions as this will only further damage anything already needing repair internally. It can push dirt and debris thru passages so they become clogged or at least restricted. In your case, it sounds as though the torque converter clutch may be staying engaged after the transmission goes into high gear so when you come down to a slower speed and then stop the car stalls as it wants to keep going. You can try putting the transmission in manual 3rd and retest. If it doesn't stall then you know it's the TCC (torque converter clutch problem) and needs to be properly diagnosed at a transmission shop. Either way you have a problem and more than likely there is a trouble code set. I would have the car thoroughly checked over as this is a safety issue and can cause an accident. Good luck and let me know if there's anything more I can do ok.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dan's Post: before i flushed the transmission it got stuck in gear then after i flushed it it started shutting off when i stopped could flushing transmission cause it to shut off and my car runs hotter than it did before i flushed it
Flushing the transmission can cause it to stall, shift erratic and not shift at all especially if there was a pre-existing condition. The only time a flush is needed in my mind is when you replace a transmission and need to clean out the cooler/lines. Even then you are risking getting dirty/contaminated fluid inside the new transmission. As for the overheating, I would verify the cooling fans are working, coolant is full and bled of all air. Also, if you feel comfortable doing this check the upper and lower radiator hoses and compare temperature (in theory they should be fairly equal to the touch and both hot when engine is at operating temp). If upper is hotter than lower this indicates a restricted or plugged radiator. If the upper hose isn't getting hot suspect a faulty thermostat not opening and allowing the coolant to circulate thru the system.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dan's Post: is it possable that it is just a sensor
Possible but you wouldn't know until the vehicle was put on a diagnostic machine and road tested. Like I said, there could be trouble codes set also just not illuminating the check engine light. Some quick checks you can make are checking the fluid level per the dipstick instructions for level, color, condition and smell.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Dan's Post: the check engine light is on
Ok, that's an indicator something is definitely wrong. If I were you I would have the car scanned at a shop and have whatever trouble code(s) diagnosed. It may be something related to the transmission shift/stall concern or the engine getting hot issue. Depending on which would depend on what type of shop you take it to. A dealer would have both type of diagnostics and techs to fix the problem. An independent shop may or may not be equipped to handle one or both. That's the choice you need to make at this point and choice A makes sense to me. But if you have faith in an independent shop or have no faith in the dealer that's your choice and either way let me know if I can be any further assistance to you.