Joel
Joel, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  18 years and growing GM, ASE certified. Specializing in Chevy, Buick, Olds, Pontiac.ASK!
5217488

broken fuel gauge on 2000 buick century

Customer Question

How do you fix a broken fuel gauge on a 2000 buick century
Category: Car
Expert:  Joel replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome.

What exactly is the fuel gauge doing?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to Joel's Post: It jumps from Full to Empty sporadically. It is never accurate, but it does move from F to E. Does not repspond when filling the tank.
Expert:  Joel replied 6 years ago.

OK. sounds as if you have a problem with the fuel level sensor in the tank. This is a common problem. The sensor is a resistor, and the "fingers" that ride on the resistor get corroded away and cause intermittant/false readings.

The fuel pump/sender with the level sensor is in the fuel tank and can be accessed through a cover in the trunk floor of the car. No need to remove the fuel tank on this car.

The sensor can be replaced seperately, and must be removed from the fuel pump/sender assembly after the assembly is removed from the fuel tank.

Joel, Auto Service Technician
Experience: 18 years and growing GM, ASE certified. Specializing in Chevy, Buick, Olds, Pontiac.ASK!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there a diagram available to guide us through this?
Expert:  Joel replied 6 years ago.

From in the trunk (or fold down pass. side rear of back seat if it has that oprion), you need to remove the trunk carpet on the floor pan. There is an oval shaped access cover, close to the rear seat back, just to the rt. of center.(see 1st.pic)

Remove that panel, then remove the electrical connectors and fuel lines from top of sender and fuel pressure has been released. Remove the entire assembly(Large snap ring), and replace the level sensor (see 2nd. pic #5)

Hope this was helpful

graphic

graphic

Joel, Auto Service Technician
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks alot. One more small thing...can you tell me how to "tighten" up the ashtray? It doesn't seem to close all the way and stay put.
Expert:  Joel replied 6 years ago.

Sounds like the guides are worn out. Would need to be replaced as an assembly.