Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

2003 Chrysler Sebring 2.7 litre. The low oil pressure ...

2003 Chrysler Sebring 2.7 litre. The low oil pressure light comes on when the engine rpm drops to about 500. The oil pressure sending unit was replaced, the intake was cleaned and the computer codes were reset. (there were no codes present). If the engine idles at 750 rpm all is fine. When it gets hot (after about 30 min run time) the idle seems to fall to 500 rpm and the oil light comes on. Any Ideas
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

Has anyone hooked up an oil pressure gauge to actually check the oil pressure when the rpms are low?

This is first place to start.

The oil needs to be checked for evidence of sludging. If there is sludge in the oil passages it is harder for the oil to get to the top of the engine, as well as for the oil pump to work efficiently.

The 2.7L chrysler engine has several known problems resulting in low oil pressure and eventually locking up. The water pump was poorly designed which allows coolant to get into engine crankcase thus causing the oil sludge. The oil passages were designed too narrow, which combined with oil sludge causes engine seizure. And the PCV system is poorly designed. All these factors can lead to low oil pressure.

You need to have the oil pressure tested, and I would also have the oil checked for evidence of sludging. Even with oil changes every 3,000 miles, there is no preventing sludging on this engine. If engine has sludge build-up, you can try having it flushed out, but there are no guarantees.

If you would like to find out more about these issues, here is a good site to check:

http://www.dodgechryslerengineproblems.com

Unfortunately, due to the severe problems the 2.7L engine has with oil related engine failure, I have to advise you on the worst case scenarios.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The mechanic trying to fix the problem works at a chryler dealership. He says there is lots of oil pressure in the engine. Tomorrow he is going to try to adjust the idle speed (set screw on the accelerator cable?). Any additional ideas. Could the coolant temperature sensor be faulty causing the idle to sometimes change from 750 rpm to 500rpm?
Expert:  Eric replied 6 years ago.

On your engine idle speed is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module(PCM).

The ect sensor normally will affect the idle when the engine is cold, and when engine warms up the idle will be ok.

Below are possible causes of low idle speed(most of the time these will set a trouble code, but not always)

• IAC motor
  • IAC driver circuit open
  • Vacuum leaks
  • Ari induction system
  • Throttle body or throttle linkage sticking
  • PCM

Have your tech check these areas first, especially IAC motor, Vacuum leaks, and PCM

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor