MikeB85
MikeB85, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified, I-Car Trained and Certified, Automotive Technology Degree

P 1332 & P0013 errors on 1999 VOLVO V70 XC

Customer Question

My 1999 Volvo V70 XC Cross Country wagon Failed inspection because of the following codes the report reads.
(1) P1332 - P13XX Manufacturer Controlled Ignition System or Misfire.
(2) P0013 - "B" Camshaft Position Actuator Circuit (Bank 1)... Is this something that has to be fixed by Volvo and what exactly is it that needs to be fixed. Thanks for your help.
Category: Car
Expert:  MikeB85 replied 6 years ago.

Hi there,

I just have some questions to see if I can help you out.

How is the vehicle running? Are there any symptoms? Was this an emissions test that it failed?

Thanks. Let me know and I will see if we can get you fixed up.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The motor runs smooth...No known symptoms just took it in for inspection and it faoled the emissions test with the codes I provided earlier. Thanks
Expert:  MikeB85 replied 6 years ago.

Well the P1332 is stored if the ECM sees that the camshaft is not in the correct position. The causes of this code are a camshaft belt that has jumped out of place on the timing gears, a defective camshaft reset valve, a mechanical fault in the variable valve timing unit, or a faulty camshaft position sensors. The P0013 is set if there is a fault in the camshaft reset valve cable. When this code is set the variable camshaft timing is set and the camshaft remains in the maximum performance position. The vehicle may idle roughly. This is what could be causing the vehicle to fail emissions even though there are no obvious driveability problems. The possible causes for this are a defective camshaft reset valve or some type of short in the power supply cable or signal cable. You can test the sensor with a voltmeter. The rest of the tests have to be performed with the proper scan tool. Most likely this will have to be performed at a volvo dealer or a shop that has the appropriate software for their scan tool. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks.

To test the camshaft reset valve, unplug the reset valve connector. Check reset valve resistance between terminal No.1 and terminal No. 2. Resistance should be approximately 3.7 ohms. If it isn't then replace the reset valve.

graphic

graphic

MikeB85, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified, I-Car Trained and Certified, Automotive Technology Degree
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks any idea how much this could cost ?
Expert:  MikeB85 replied 6 years ago.
It all depends on the shops labor rates and the area that you live in. They will most likely hook it up to a scanner so there will be a diagnostic fee involved. Your best bet is to get some price quotes from a couple places. Tell them the information I gave you so they have an idea of what the repair consists of. Then just go with the place that you are most comfortable with and has the best price. Let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for all your help...AM glad i found this site
Expert:  MikeB85 replied 6 years ago.

Not a problem. I am glad to help. Thanks for using JUSTANSWER.COM!