MikeB85
MikeB85, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified, I-Car Trained and Certified, Automotive Technology Degree
7731073

1995 F-350: I have a 7.3L Ford Powerstroke..getting fuel..knock

Customer Question

I have a 7.3L Ford Powerstroke in a 1995 F-350. After getting fuel the engine began to knock, had power loss and died, would not restart. The truck sat in the bay at a local auto repair for approximately six hours and then restarted. The truck ran great for two days. I started the truck on the second day and the problem started over again. I limped into the shop and it has been having the same problem. A diagnostic was done and the following codes came up P0113, P0476 and P1661. All disappeared on a second diagnostic except for P0476. The truck still has the same problems.
Category: Car
Expert:  MikeB85 replied 9 years ago.

The P0113 code is for a IAC indicates the temperature below -40 degrees. Possible causes for this code are a faulty sensor, a faulty harness connector, or a faulty PCM. The P1661 code is indicating that the output circuit check for the PCM is low. The causes of this code are low battery voltage, VREF signal faulty, or a faulty PCM. The P0476 code is for the exhaust pressure control valve performance. This code indicates a malfunction with the Exhaust Back Pressure regulator. The causes for this are a stuck or damaged butterfly, misadjusted or damaged linkage, restricted exhaust, exhaust leaks, a faulty EPR, faulty back pressure sensor (EBF), or a faulty PCM. I would double check to make sure the P0476 is the only one coming up. I have a few tests that you can perform. This will require a digital voltmeter that is also able to measure resistance. Let me know which direction you want to go and I can assist you further. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Thanks.

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Reply to MikeB85's Post: What tests can be done? The mechanic I have taken it to is somewhat stumped. Tell the tests and I can relay that information to him.

On the P0113 code, the mechanic found a sensor on the side of the air filter housing was disconnected and when he reconnected it the code did not reappear.
Expert:  MikeB85 replied 9 years ago.

If your mechanic is equipped with the proper scan tool and software these test can be performed with the scanner. The first tests are for the P0476. The second tests are for the P1661. Sorry I was unable to post the tests as a whole so I had to post them in sections. They are numbered in order. Let me know how you make out. Thanks.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic