JHoop
JHoop, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
4700517

98 ford windstar: Check engine light..OBD codes p0171, p0174..too lean

Customer Question

98 ford windstar 3.8   Check engine light on. OBD codes p0171, p0174 - system adaptive fuel too lean ( banks 1 and 2)
Category: Car
Expert:  JHoop replied 8 years ago.
HelloCustomer my name isXXXXX you for choosing justanswer.com.

Here are some of the possible causes of your trouble codes.
graphic
So you see, it really could be anything. I would start with the fuel related issues first. Although it might sound meaningless, but make sure the Oil Dip Stick is pushed all the way down. Go over the check list...let me know what you think.
___________________________
Dont forget to click ACCEPT. Bonuses as well as Feedback are always welcome. Thanks. (Please understand, that just because you put a deposit down, is not paying for the answer. You MUST hit the ACCEPT button for me to recieve credit.)
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
1-Now that I think of it this started after I changed out the air filter, Perhaps I blocked something.
I'll check that first.

2-Could problem be a defective oxygen sensor? That's what the guys at autozone told me. (I used their code reader)

Tony
Expert:  JHoop replied 8 years ago.
More than likely, you need to replace the 1 or more of the Heated Oxygen Sensors.
graphic

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect battery ground cable. NOTE: Four Heated Oxygen Sensors (HO2S) are used for the engine control system. All are located in the dual converter Y pipe: one at the inlet and outlet of each catalytic converter.
  2. Raise vehicle on hoist.
  3. Disconnect engine control sensor wiring from heated oxygen sensors.
  4. Remove heated oxygen sensors from dual converter Y pipe using Oxygen Sensor Wrench T94P-9472-A. NOTE: If excessive force is needed to remove heated oxygen sensor, lubricate heated oxygen sensor with penetrating oil prior to removal.

INSTALLATION

1. Follow removal procedure in reverse order.
  2. Apply a coating of anti-seize compound to threads of heated oxygen sensor. Tighten heated oxygen sensors to 34-46 Nm (26-33 lb ft) .
graphic
Regardless of how the engine is mounted in the vehicle, conventional or transverse, the HO2S naming convention stays the same in relationship to engine banks 1 and 2. Bank 1 will always be the bank containing the # XXXXX cylinder. I uploaded some testing material on these O2 Sensors. You can download it by clicking HERE.
I hope this helps. If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop
___________________________

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks
Expert:  JHoop replied 8 years ago.
You are quite welcome....If you still need help, let me know. If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop