Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATION
3903212

my windshield wipers on my 2003 cadillac cts wont shut off ...

my windshield wipers on my 2003 cadillac cts wont shut off they stay on continuously no unless i pull the fuse out.
Category: Car
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
What fuse are you pulling to stop them? Does this only occur when the ignition is in the on position? What happens if you remove the WPR SW 10A fuse?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it started coming on for no reason and hasnt shut off it stays on no m atter if the keys in the on position or if the engine is running the fuse im pulling is the 30a i believe windshield wiper fuse not sure the exact name on it but its the one specifically for the windshield wiper.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
Ok do the wipers work with the key out of the ignition? Do the wipers stop if you pull the WPR SW fuse?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Reply to carhelp4uhere's Post: no the wipers will only work if the key is in not if its out, but once the key is in they will stay on until i take the key out or till i pull the fuse out.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
Ok, but there are two uses that power the system. I need to know what happens if you remove the WPR SW fuse? This will tell me which end of the circut is having the fault.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
oh well i only saw one fuse that had control of the wipers and ts a 30amp fuse but i will check and see if i can find another fuse but thats the only one ive seen in my manual and the layout of the fuses.
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.
Let me know how you make out. I can give you a better idea of what is going on after we find that info out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok i removed the wpr sw fuse and the wipers stay on so only when i remove the wpr mod fuse does it turn them off
Expert:  Carhelp4u replied 6 years ago.

Ok that is the test we really needed to find out. Normally this is caused by a faulty wiper cover. There is a chance though that you are having a short to voltage though. To check for this you will need to access the wiper motor cover is located on the back side of the wiper motor and test the purple wire. If there is no voltage at this wire, I would simply replace the wiper module. This is my feeling of what is happening, but I wanted to make you aware of that wiring test. Here is how to replace the wiper cover. Keep in mind that the wiper motor cover is the electrical device that controls all of the delay and speeds and so on. Feel free to contact me with any questions!

Object Number: 776821  Size: SH

• Remove the wiper motor mini 10 A and 30 A fuses. The wiper motor fuses are located in the underhood fuse block.
  • Remove the wiper arm assemblies.
  • Remove the air inlet grille (1,3).
    Object Number: 776830  Size: SH

• Remove the wiper motor module mounting bolts (3,5).
  • Disconnect the wiper motor electrical connector (4).
  • Remove the wiper motor module (1) from the vehicle. Object Number: 781426  Size: SH

• Remove the wiper motor module.
  • Remove the fasteners (2) from the wiper motor cover (3).
  • Carefully remove the wiper motor cover from the wiper motor housing (1).
  • Ensure the wiper motor cover housing sealing surface is clean and dry.
  • Position the wiper motor cover (3) to the wiper motor housing.
    Object Number: 781426  Size: SH

Important: To ensure proper wiper cover seal to wiper motor housing contact, the cover fasteners need to be equally tightened to the motor housing.

• Install the wiper motor cover fasteners (2).

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

• Tighten the fasteners in an "X" pattern as follows:

Tighten

1. Tighten the fasteners on the first pass to 0 .67 N·m (6 lb in).
    2. Tighten the fasteners on the second pass to 1.35 N·m (12 lb in).
    3. Tighten the fasteners on the third and final pass to 2.0 N·m (18 lb in) to ensure equal sealing pressure is applied to the cover seal.
  • Install the wiper motor module.
    Object Number: 776830  Size: SH

• Place the wiper motor module into the vehicle.
  • Connect the wiper motor module electrical connector (4).
  • Align the wiper module locator hole (7) to the pin located inside rail of the driver side fender.
  • Align the locator hole (6) to the hole in the pillar flange.

• Install the outer bolt (5).

Tighten
    Tighten the outer bolt to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

• Install the center bolt (3).

Tighten
    Tighten the center bolt to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

Object Number: 776821  Size: SH

• Install the air inlet grille (1,3).
  • Install the wiper arm assemblies.
  • Install the wiper motor fuses to the underhood fuse block.
  • Carhelp4u, ASE CERTIFIED TECH
    Experience: ASE CERTIFICATION