Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE master, 30+ years. All makes and models. Trouble shooter, shop forman, service manager
2947720

1995 Oldsmobile Regency: 000 Miles..stuttering..slipping..45MPH

Customer Question

The Car is a 1995 Oldsmobile Regency with the 3800 Series 2 Engine and T60E Transmission (110,000 Miles) When driving on highways, the transmission will sometimes start stuttering (slipping?) above 45MPH and up to 59MPH. The car is well cared for, regular service is done. It is tuned up and the transmission fluid is clean. (No Codes, No burn odor) Iv''e been told it might be an electrical issue (Bad Ground on Soleniods, TCC, etc)
Category: Car
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 years ago.

HelloCustomerand welcmoe to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. I would think that a bad ground or solenoid would give a trouble code, most times. There is a way to find out though if it is TCC related, if there is not a good scan tool available to monitor the data.

When the vehicle is fully warmed up and you are driving at a moderate speed. When you feel the shuddering, (chuggle) just lightly touch the brake pedal enough to make the brake lights come on but not enough to actually apply the brakes and see if it gets a whole lot better, (lol) as when you touch the brakes the TCC solenoid will release.

Trans shops are gonna hate that I tell people that, (haha) but, give it a try and we will know what direction to go in, thanks

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Thank you for your answer. I will try your test and see if the "chuggle" stops. The tranny was rebuilt a little over a year ago so I dont think replacement is an option at this time. Thanks again,Customer
Expert:  Jerry replied 9 years ago.
Your welcome, let me know if you need anything