Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience!
5624692

where is the inertia switch on a 97 jeep grand cherokee

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Car
Expert:  JHoop replied 9 years ago.
HelloCustomer my name isXXXXX you for choosing justanswer.com.

OK...After looking through numerous wiring diagrams, I have come to this conclusion. There is no "Inertia Switch" or "Fuel Cut-Off Switch". What there is though, is the Automatic Shut Down Relay as shown on this wiring diagram of the Fuel System.
graphic
Along with supplying voltage to the coil side of the ASD relay, circuit F99 also supplies voltage to the coil side of the fuel pump relay.
graphic
graphic
I hope this is what you had in mind...if not let me know...and please explain a little better. If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop
___________________________
Dont forget to click ACCEPT. Bonuses as well as Feedback are always welcome. Thanks. (Please understand, that just because you put a deposit down, is not paying for the answer. You MUST hit the ACCEPT button for me to recieve credit.)
Expert:  JHoop replied 9 years ago.
HeyCustomer JHoop here.

How are you making out with that Relay?
___________________________
Customer: replied 9 years ago.
Sent the car to a dealer shop since you were unable to answer my question. Of course it has an asd relay chrysler has used them for years! Turns out it has a mechanical rollover valve at the tank! I wont be using this service again and so I guess I am out the nine bucks! This service stinks! Terry Rube 19 year ase master tech!
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 9 years ago.

HiCustomer

For starters you have only placed a deposit and did not accept the answer although JHOOP is correct in his answer. You can request a refund of your deposit if you'd like.

There may have been a misunderstanding in the terminology. When most customers request a location or other information about an "inertia switch" they are referring to the ford standard electrical device that shuts down the fuel pump. As JHOOP correctly stated the electrical shutdown would occur from the ASD relay.

I'm not sure what your actual problem was with the jeep, but typically the mechanical rollover valve is to prevent fuel spillage from the tank in the case of a "rollover". This should not affect the operation of the electrical fuel pump.