Greg, Shop Owner/Lead Tech
Experience:  22yrs Exp. ASE Cert. Brakes, Elect/Electronics ,Eng.Performance., Heat/A/C,Engine Repair

1988 chevy: 4x4 pick up w/350 motor, 5 spd trans..aftermarket..timing

I have a 1988 chevy 4x4 pick up w/350 motor, 5 spd trans. Everything is stock no aftermarket on it at all. I can not set the timing. Before setting the timing I unplug the electronic advance wire on the firewall. set the timing at top dead center. Shut the truck off plug the wires back together for the advance.Start the truck back up and then it clangs and clatters because it is running way before top dead center.
Can you help me out?? Thank you Ben
Hello,Customer The only thing I can think of is maybe a broken magnet on the distributor shaft allowing the timing to change. i have seen this happen before. One way you can tell is to remove distributor, drive the pin out of the shaft that holds the gear on distributor. remove the shaft from the houseing and looking underneath the magnetic part of the shaft see if it is craked or if you can TWIST the magnet on the shaft or move it at all if you can thats the problem!