Hog Rider
Hog Rider, Transmission Technician
Experience:  Transmission Rebulider of 19 year's . A.T.R.A. and A.T.S.G. Certifications of Completion of 9 year's
3959815

1994 Mazda Protege DX: water pump (98.46)..valve cover..cam..coolant

I had my 1994 Mazda Protege DX serviced this week. The shop replaced the water pump (98.46), the timing belt (63.81), timing belt tensioner (86.54), valve cover (39.82), crank seal (12.85), cam seal (24.90), and idle pulley (73.54), plus coolant (18.00). Parts totalled 417.92. They charged me $450 for labor. Did I get an honest charge for the service and parts provided?
Category: Car
Expert:  Hog Rider replied 8 years ago.

helloCustomer/p>

You Have received a Great price on your service you received.

on the East Coast you would have been Double the price !Wink

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I'm not so sure. I have been looking at parts prices on the internet and the auto shop charged much more than advertized prices. Also, I have a Mazda Protege and I could not find any prices for a crank seal, cam seal, or idle pulley. Those parts exist for other makes and models, but does my car use those parts? If so, why can't I find price listings for them?
Expert:  Hog Rider replied 8 years ago.

To help you understand, Repair shops dont buy parts from the internet , or pepboys, or auto zones most of the parts from their are No name Knock off`s that are Inferior replacement part`s and may not last. also your Mechanic Must warranty his work so he will use Quality ( higher priced) parts !

also as far as your crank seal, cam seal and pulley, Again only Speclitally Import auto stores will carry this . along with the fact your car is 14 years old, they usully only keep stock for 10 years!

Hog Rider, Transmission Technician
Experience: Transmission Rebulider of 19 year's . A.T.R.A. and A.T.S.G. Certifications of Completion of 9 year's
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 8 years ago.

HiCustomer

Hog Rider is correct. Many places use OEM components for critical jobs such as timing belts, electronics, and brake work. If they did use aftermarket parts they will still mark them up. That covers the cost of looking up the parts, purchasing them, picking them up, etc... It is standard practice. If you would like to save money, some places will let you purchase your own parts and install them for you.