Scott
Scott, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  A.S.E. Master ,Chrysler Master, 33yrs experience
6216639

2001 Jeep Wrangler: cyl..crank..wont start..the trip odemeter

Customer Question

My 2001 Jeep Wrangler (4L 6 cyl) intermittently will crank but wont start on the first few attempts - this doesnt happen all the time but seems to occur more and more lately.
When this happens the trip odemeter gets reset as well.
I put the diagnostic tool that reads the computer codes and get nothing.
The battery is a top post model and is good for 100 months - was purchased June 2006.
The post connections were clean and solid.
I took the alternator and starter in to get tested and they both passed the tests.
Although the starter had some minor wear on the ends of the ??fly wheel?? - the auto parts store told me to check the Jeeps fly wheel and that maybe I did not install the starter correctly. (one blot may have been tighter than the other)
Today - when I finally got the jeep to start the engine wouldnt idle with out me having to keep pushing the gas pedal - but after it warmed up it idled fine (this was the first itme that happened).
I"m thinking its a fuel issue - but not sure which part i should check or replace.
I''m open to any suggestions and appreciate the help.
Category: Car
Expert:  Scott replied 8 years ago.
Hello. You may have a fuel pump thats loosing pressure and causing the hard start condition. We use a fuel pressure gauge that attaches to the fuel rail for testing. If the fuel pump pressure drops quickly then we start to look for the reasons why. You can try and "prime" the fuel system before starting. To do this you cycle the key on and off 3-4 times then just bump the starter on the 5 time and try and start on the sixth. This will pressurize the fuel system and force the air into the rail . The bump start will force the air out of the injectors and the next start should give the engine good fuel . If the motor seems to start every time like this - then you can focus on getting the fuel pressure tested. If the long crank is still present then the computer needs to be scanned during cranking to pinpoint the cause of the no starts. If you need more info, help or clarification, please reply, Thanks Scott.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I went out and bought a bottle of fuel injector cleaner (gasoline additive). I bought the more expensive bottle - I think it was Greased Lightning fuel treatment.
Could it be i got a batch of "bad" gas?
My Jeep sits for extended periods of time without me driving it - would that create fuel injector issues?
After re-installing the starter and alternator ( cleaned the connectors) and re-hooked up the battery - thorughly cleaned the terminal and terminal connector. The car has not had any starting issues - yet. I will utilize the starting method if it does it again and take it in to have the fuel pump pressure checked. As I understand the fuel pump and filter are both located in the gas tank.