Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience!

The lights turn off automatically and the tail lights stay..manually

Customer Question

I let the lights turn off automatically and the tail lights stay on. I try to turn them off manually and the tail lights still stay on.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 8 years ago.

Are all of the parking lights staying on or just the ones in the rear of the vehicle?

Is it possible it is the brake lights that are staying on?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Just the rear and I did check to see if it was the brake lights and it isn't. Just the tail lights.
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 8 years ago.
Do you have a meter for checking voltages?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
At first I thought that it was just the tail lights, but I have to reconsider. I think that it is the brake lights. I now have the battery disconnected and cannot check, but again I think it is the brake lights!
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 8 years ago.

Ok, that makes MUCH more sense. I was looking over the wiring diagram and would have had a very difficult time seeing how this could happen.

Try removing fuse #23 in the power distribution center. This is the fuse for the brake lights. If they go out then check the brake light switch. It may have come loose from the brake pedal assembly or it could be stuck closed. If the fuse turned off the lights then plug it back in and disconnect the brake light switch and see if they turn off.

Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 8 years ago.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Thanks Ed. I think your are right on track. I will check it out in the morning, but you have to be right.. Thanks again, Bill
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 8 years ago.
No problem. If you need any more help just reply back.