Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience!

1998 pontiac grand prix GTP: overheating..a bad radiator..head gasket

Customer Question

Hello i have a 1998 pontiac grand prix GTP and it is very well maintained but there has been a squeak''n like a belt so i replaced all the belts, and just recently about the last two weeks i have been smellin a antifreeze type smell but there is no leaks, no overheating, and no change in the oil color, is it possible that i have a bad radiator or the waterpump is the problem and maybe thats been the squeak the whole time? But my main concern is its not the head gasket.
Category: Car
Expert:  Mazda Ed replied 8 years ago.

First, I would remove the drive belts and start the engine for a short period. If the squeak is still there then you know it is not a belt driven accessory. Spin each pulley by hand and feel for roughness while listening for noise. A tech I work with has the same engine in his Bonneville with a squeaky (bird chirp) noise. His turned out to be a bad belt tensioner. I have seen several of these go bad, the bad thing is that they only come as the complete $100+ assembly from GM. The spring seems to lose tension and cause the squeak noise.

Don't forget, every 3 years or 30,000 miles you need to check and top off the supercharger oil.

For the coolant smell, I recommend starting with a coolant pressure test to verify if you have a small external leak that could be evaporating or burning off and causing the odor.