Robert, Technician
Experience:  6 years experience with car repair.

Van..oil had a slight head gasket leak..oil filter

Have a 2001 van that had a oil change 2 months ago. At the time of the oil change the mechanic stated that it had a slight head gasket leak. Now my employee had the engine lock up and all the oil ran out of the oil filter. I took it to another mechanic and he cleaned up the bottom of the engine. We can see the oil filter is intac but the rubber gasket is pushed out? Did the person who did the oil change 2 months ago install it wrong or did something go wrong with the head gasket to force the oil filter rubber gasket out. Did my employee drive it hot as now the engine is locked?
Category: Car
Expert:  Robert replied 8 years ago.

Hi There!

Thanks for Choosing Just Answer.

Wow, I would think the only way the gasket is showing, is if when the oil filter was put on the rubber gasket was not properly seated. So chances are after the last oil change the rubber gasket was showing however the filter probably was not tight because of this and loosened up over time. I would think if it ran out of oil there could be substantial damage to the engine. I just do not see any other way this could have occurred, and feel strongly the filter was put on with the rubber gasket not seated correctly.

Thank You! Please hit ACCEPT for my efforts, Positive feedback and BONUS welcomed!