Steve, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs experience as a professional working technician; ASE L1 master technician

2006 GMC Envoy XL Denali: While driving down the road..electrical went

Customer Question

I have a 2006 GMC Envoy XL Denali. While driving down the road it just shut off. all electrical went away. I coasted to a stop and put the vehicle in park. I tried to start again and it wont crank and when turned to start all electrical cuts out. It also will not come out of park. I have been reading about the pass Key II system and i think this may be the problem. How do i reset the system? why did it engage while driving? Thanks
Category: Car
Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.

The factory security system cannot cause symptoms such as you describe; it cannot shut the engine off once it has started, and will not disable your shift interlock as it has no control over teh interlock.

The symptoms you are describing are all consistent with low battery voltage; it sounds as if your charging system may be malfunctioning. I would suggest having the battery tested for state of c harge, installing a replacement fully charged battery, or trying to see if the vehicle will start with jumpre cables.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I am charging the battery to see if i can get it to start. I now have a service brakes meassage on the dash. The vehicle still wont start.
Expert:  Steve replied 8 years ago.

How are you making out? Did you get your truck started?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Charged battery to 100%. Voltage 13.5 volts. Still does same thing. I turn the key to on, all lights and bells work. when turned to start, all goes blank, radio turns off, dash lights go dead, engine does not crank. absolutely nothing. when i release everything comes back. Additionally, i have an OBD II scanner and when plugged in to scan it gives a link error. ONSTAR tried to diagnose the problem and they said to many errors to read. i am really frustrated now.