Porsche Audi tech
Porsche Audi tech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 year ASE,Porsche,Audi Factory Trained Master Tech Ase L1 advanced Engine Performance Certified
8154912

1996 vw jetta: that wont start.had it in 2 shops..cant find

Customer Question

i have a 1996 vw jetta that wont start.had it in 2 shops now ,and they cant find the problem.how can this be? we replaced everythng .sparkplugs ,rotor,ignition coil,whatelse can be wrong .also put in new fulefilter
Category: Car
Expert:  Porsche Audi tech replied 8 years ago.

HelloCustomer/p>

I take it will not start sporadicly or at all? Fuel pumps and fuel pump relays are very common all so speed and reference sensors can cause this. Check you cam timing to make sure the timing belt did not jump a tooth.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Porsche Audi tech's Post: mechanic says nothing wrong with fuelpump ,has good pressure ,fuel-relay has been replaced

Will it start at all? will the tach needle bounce when cranking when not starting?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Porsche Audi tech's Post: no it will not start,i dont know about the tach needle.I would have to get back to you on that
If the tach doesn't jump while cranking, the computer is not receiving the speed signal. Check the speed sensor on the side of the bell housing
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
okay after installing a new computer we watched the tach and it does not move while the car is cranking the car did start twice and the tach did not move until the car started not prior. I believe i found the sensor you were talking about, and it was covered in a grease not sure if it is diolectric grease or not, could this be a problem? When we looked up the speed sensor i believe you were talking about the part description said, it controlled the up shift and down shift. I was just wondering how this could effect the car starting and if not ,the speed sensor what else could it possibly be?

There is a split in 1996 most 2.0 had a speed sensor (a magnetic pickup type that counted teeth on the ring gear in the bell housing for engine rpm and the pick up in the distributor for reference sensor(top dead #1) to know when to fire the coil. But the older 2.0 the pick ups were in the distributor for both. the one for the trans shifting is not it. what is the vin on the car so I can look it up. The tach should jump with what ever system the car has that is how we always check them at the dealer.When It started did it run good or real rough? Did you check your cam timing? The belt did not jump on you did it?When it stalled did it die fast like the key was turned off or did it stumble like it ran out of gas? Is the a OBD2 Plug in on this car you could see if any codes were stored. But if it is an early 96 it may not have it.